Regrade quiz when deleting questions

(63)
In instances where an instructor wants to remove a question from a quiz that students have already taken, the option to regrade a quiz should be available if a question is deleted. Or even add a choice in Regrade Options to drop the question from the quiz and remove its points from the quiz value total.

Comments from Instructure

2022-07-12 -- After reviewing this long-existing idea, the Community Team has determined that this request will remain Open. While it was authored when only Classic Quizzes existed, the idea can be applied to New Quizzes as well. Ultimately, this will reduce the number of duplicated Idea requests and allow the conversation and collaboration to exist in a single space. 

90 Comments
m_bradford
Community Novice

The suggestion is to have a regrade option in situations when a quiz question needs to be deleted and re-scored. This is an excellent idea. I had a situation where some students had completed a quiz before it was brought to my attention that one of the answer choices was duplicated. It would have been great if I could have deleted that question or edit it with an automated adjustment in the scores. The workaround was to adjust the grades in speed grader which was time-consuming. The suggested feature would have saved me lots of time. Thank you for your idea.

chinweprincess
Community Novice

This an excellent idea, it helps students to work hard

kmallette
Community Participant

This may be slightly off-topic, but it would be nice if this regrade feature triggered for questions that are both native to the exam and questions that are pulled from a question bank.

rebeccab_welch
Community Novice

This is a fantastic idea.  I frequently import QTI quizzes into my classes for quizzes, and often I will miss a bad question, or bad answer choices.  I delete the question, but have to manually calculate the grade.  This feature would give me more time to put into something else beneficial to my students.

ElizabethWI
Community Contributor

I am amazed that there is even a question of not fixing this issue. 

rgo877
Community Member

For all the good it will do, I am going to add my voice to the chorus of users who think this change should be prioritized.  I am disappointed to learn that the much-ballyhooed "quizzes next" is not going to have this fixed.  

kevin_redding
Community Explorer

Is this still true?...  Please, tell me they fixed this by now.

kevin_redding
Community Explorer

Ditto...  (Why should they even ask us if they should fix their defective system?... Do they really need our permission for that?)

jessica1_lee
Community Member

I think this is an extremely valuable feature to potentially use when assessing on the Canvas platform. There have been many times where I've looked over the quiz statistics for a given exam and have realized that there are flaws within the question stem and/or answer options themselves. I want to be able to show my students that there IS such a thing as a "bad question" and not penalize them (or myself, for that matter) for my mistake. This would save teachers so much time. 

sarahe_link
Community Novice

I think this would be very beneficial. This would allow teachers who realize a mistake in one of the questions after the students have taken the assessment, not to have to manually adjust the scores. There have been multiple times students have taken a quiz, and I have had to adjust scores afterwards due to a mistake in the wording or the options given for answer choices. This would parallel the feature of Powerteacher to adjust grades when you change the overall amount the assignment is worth.

teachrickyrod
Community Member

Yes I think this is a great idea.  Right now it doesn't go back and regrade the test.  So if one class takes a quiz with ten questions, and another class in the same Canvas course takes the smaller version of the test, what happens when you curve the grade for one class and then curve the grade for another class?  It seems like the scores would be seriously skewed because one standard deviation is based on a quiz that has 10 questions, while another curve is based on a test that has 7 questions...

khallett
Community Novice

This is a huge issue, and should be so easy to fix. 

kathleen_montin
Community Novice

Gia, this is a fantastic idea. It is more often than not that I have to go back and edit student grades because I found out later that a question may have been unfair, incorrect or have an error. The ability to remove it and not have to regrade the entire assignment would make my life SO MUCH easier. 

jacklynl_foster
Community Novice

This is such a great idea! I just hate it when I realize a question wasn't worded well or there were actually 2 correct answers. I often just curve everyone's because who has the time to regrade them!?

elaine_friar
Community Novice

As teachers scaffold and individualize teaching for a variety of students, allowing a test to "regrade" by a canvas "message" would be very beneficial.  As teachers personalize instruction and realize that a student needed extra support for the question, adjusting the test would assist in our data that assessments are affected by the knowledge of student comprehension and mastery.  This feature could also have a deadline of "regrade" ability.

athanasia1970
Community Novice

I agree that it would be a useful tool to be able to regrade all assignments when a teacher makes any change for that matter.  Quite often we find that something has to be altered after the fact. Sometimes we have to change the point value or even make a correction to the assignment. Great suggestion.

juliea_doughert
Community Member

I think the regrade feature would be a great addition. Often when grading an assessment, I will identify a flaw in the question or answer choices. A regrading feature would no longer penalize my students for incorrectly answering a question that may have been poorly worded or that contained multiple correct answers. I could also see this as beneficial when exposing my EC students to grade level content, while not penalizing them for missing the questions (as it applies in their individual plans). I have, in the past, been able to facilitate some of my best discussions from questions that contained errors or multiple correct answers. This allows for rich student discussion, while not penalizing them for taking risks. 

kevin_redding
Community Explorer

Could we expand this to include regrading whenever we make any change in a quiz?  I fail to see why a quiz question can only be regraded if it is multiple choice or true-false (or some other limited type).  I recently had a numerical question based on information in a previous question that was not updated by Canvas (and I did not notice it). The upshot is that the numerical value I had entered as the correct one was actually incorrect.  (This was annoying, because if they previous question's information had been updated by Canvas, I would not have had this problem... but that is another issue...)  Anyway, the quizzes were not regraded, nor was the correct answer displayed on the quiz.  I had to use the "fudge factor" at the bottom to correct the grades.  What a horrible kludge to be forced to use!!  

So, let me ask you this question, Canvas: if the grading algorithm can grade the quizzes the first time, why can it not regrade them a second time?  Is it not the exact same action?  You already have the algorithm.  It works.  We're just asking you to apply it again.  How can this be difficult to implement?  I just don't understand it.  This makes no sense.

susie_tattersha
Community Novice

Make this easier! I hate having all the scores disappear and I have to go in and  manually regrade just because I deleted one question that turned out to be a bad question.

khallett
Community Novice

This should be a simple fix and it is very disappointing that it hasn't been addressed. A student just found an error on a quiz, I foolishly deleted the question, and now have to regrade 165 quizzes. And that's not a simple task, too many clicks. Please fix this.