Regrade quiz when deleting questions

(63)
In instances where an instructor wants to remove a question from a quiz that students have already taken, the option to regrade a quiz should be available if a question is deleted. Or even add a choice in Regrade Options to drop the question from the quiz and remove its points from the quiz value total.

Comments from Instructure

2022-07-12 -- After reviewing this long-existing idea, the Community Team has determined that this request will remain Open. While it was authored when only Classic Quizzes existed, the idea can be applied to New Quizzes as well. Ultimately, this will reduce the number of duplicated Idea requests and allow the conversation and collaboration to exist in a single space. 

90 Comments
mmoore1
Community Contributor

Well, I think out society needs to admit when it makes mistakes, record it, and expect students to do the same.  If we model that then it should not be a big deal.  We have a lot of people fudging data when it really should be recorded, evaluated, and fixed next time around.  We should not try to hide a mistake, and I think this could lead to people trying to hide mistakes rather than simply modeling that everyone makes mistakes.  I am not going to tell you how to teach, but I am also not going to change my professional persona or method either. 

adkim
Community Member

Actually, I think we are on the same page!  I totally agree with what you said.  The regrading options do not hide anything.  If a student then looks at their exam submission, they will see what has been regraded.  It is up to me, the instructor, to tell them why that happened.

Only through a true item analysis can exam questions be fixed.  Also, item analysis sometimes brings to light teaching practices that may have to be refined because students aren't getting the material.

Andy

mmoore1
Community Contributor

I agree.  We just did not have any heated discussions in this community yet so I thought I would see what would happen. 

bryan1_sechrist
Community Novice

I agree....regrading is a nightmare.  When I used Canvas for PLTW, it gave an option to re-grade previous submitters but the one on CMS does not.

kelly1_fields
Community Novice

I think being able to regrade after a quiz has been updated is a great idea. I have seen and used assessments without noticing a question had the wrong answer and then had to go back and redo the assessment. This option will save a lot of hours and effort. 

deborahb_baysin
Community Explorer

I would love to be able to regrade a whole class when you realize you have made a mistake on a question and need to delete the question after the students have completed the quiz.

gnoack
Community Champion

Once the quiz has been completed by a student it should not be altered to the point of a question being deleted.  I think a better option would be the ability  to exclude (but not delete) a question from the points total, or to be able to give everyone a pass on the question.  

I think the ability to delete a question complete brings up issues of fairness, openness and trust, especially in an online course.  Students should always be able to see their submitted work. 

As a student, if I saw a question disappear, I would start to wonder what else the instructor was changing after the fact. 

adkim
Community Member

Greg, you make an excellent point about the question totally disappearing, but the biggest issue is the regrading part.  For example, lets say that your quiz is worth 10 points and there are 10 equally-weighted questions on the quiz.  The students take the quiz and through item analysis you determine that one of the questions was just bad (maybe the instructor didn't cover the material, maybe the textbook didn't properly address it - multitudes of possible reasons).  You want to throw the question out.  Right now, if you pick that option in Canvas, it would change that quiz to a 9 point quiz, which changes your total points for the course (and points in the Syllabus, which is the contract with the student).  What Canvas should do is recalculate so that each of the 9 remaining questions is worth 1.11 points.  You do have the option of giving everyone full-credit for the question, but is this really the right thing to do?  Rewarding them with points they didn't truly earn?  This is really the point of wanting the ability to "delete" questions.

Andy

cbarger
Community Novice

This is a need at my university as well. Moving from another LMS that had this option, it has been difficult for our instructors to adjust. The one at a time regrade is a huge time commitment. 

pattene
Community Participant

I am brainstorming how to deal with this in my online class right now. I have an exam item that many students got wrong because I made a mistake when creating it. I do not want to add +1 point for all students (not earned, as noted above), but do not want to penalize students either. I would like to either be able to change the item to the correct response and then regrade the exam, or change the item to be 0 points and the exam worth 1 point less. However, that would mean revising the total number of points possible in the class as well. Dilemma.

adkim
Community Member

Unfortunately, until Instructure fixes this it is the dilemma we are stuck with...  If it helps, what we do is give full-credit for the question.  The way I look at it is that it errs on the side of the student and is the lesser of the other two evils.

Andy

pattene
Community Participant

I ended up manually going through each exam using SpeedGrader. It was time consuming, as I had to scroll down to the culprit item in each exam. But that way, the students that answered the item correctly received the point, those that answered it incorrectly (faux correctly) didn't lose a point, and those that were incorrect didn't get a 'free' point. Lesson learned.

valaireb
Community Novice

Couldn't agree more, I hope this gets added to canvas.

don_bryn
Community Champion

I agree.  Teachers should have as many options as possible in every aspect of Canvas.   So the choice whether to regrade after marking a change to a quiz should be accessible to the teacher.

wwolf
Community Participant

ggd356‌ this is a terrific idea.  I hope it goes through!

isaac_tabner
Community Novice

This is a really useful function that is available in Blackboard and I have used it several times if the question diagnostics indicate that you have a dud question, or students complain that a particular question is ambiguous you can retrospectively regrade. It is also useful for trialing new questions that you may not wish to include in the final score. I miss it in Canvas.

ronmarx
Community Contributor

You mean this feature isn't available? It's kind of standard among LMS products, Bb for instance, isn't it? #quizzes next

cms_hickss
Community Coach
Community Coach

I just experienced this while testing in QuizzesNext. There was a bad question. We wanted it tossed out. There didn't seem to be a way. Thinking that deleting would be the best option the question was deleted from the bank and now regrade will not work and there's no option to say that the quiz only has 14 questions instead of 15.

curtain
Community Participant

Disappointing to hear this is not addressed in QuizzesNext (yet at least).

skoogi
Community Member

Hello

Does anyone know the status of this request/idea?  Even if Canvas decided not to make the change does anyone know their reasons?