Remove Default Dashes from the Score Box in Quizzes and Exams

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
  Idea will be open for vote Wed. September 2, 2015 - Wed. December 2, 2015  Learn more about voting...

Another semester ending, and again my time and attention diverted from thinking about the content of students' exam responses to worrying about deleting double dashes from the score box before I can enter a score.  This topic was posted earlier this year, "Remove the Dashes from the Score Box in Quizzes and Exams", but apparently didn't receive votes fast enough and has been "archived".  One of the posts correctly noted that this issue was also posted in the old Canvas Community. LET'S TRY AGAIN to get some support for removing these annoying and time-wasting dashes!

Comments from Instructure...

Greetings all!  We often remind the Community that even archived ideas can become a real feature, and this one is proof of that!

This feature is complete.  You can find more information in the Canvas Production Release Notes (2015-09-19)

Manual Quiz Question Grading

In a manually graded quiz question, instructors no longer have to remove the dashes in the point field. Once an instructor starts typing a score, the dashes are removed automatically. However, if no value is entered and dashes are still present, the question is still considered ungraded.

15 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

pastedImage_0.png

Thank you for your Feature Idea submission.  As you noted above ​ was submitted in an earlier voting period.  It may contain valuable discussion and insight as this discussion moves through the voting process.

We also encourage you to check out this article that can help you maximize the exposure and support of your Feature Idea: How do I write a good feature idea submission

Beth_Young
Community Contributor

Thanks for reposting this idea!  I am so weary of deleting those dashes.

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea is now open for vote. Smiley Happy

canvas_admin
Community Champion

I'm with you  @Beth_Young ​.  It's annoying to delete those dashes both in the browser and app versions!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Greetings all!  We often remind the Community that even archived ideas can become a real feature, and this one is proof of that!

Please take a look at the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2015-09-08)

In a manually graded quiz question, instructors no longer have to remove the dashes in the point field. Once an instructor starts typing a score, the dashes are removed automatically. However, if no value is entered and dashes are still present, the question is still considered ungraded.

This change resolves a fixed bug in Canvas:

Explanation: When an instructor opened a manually graded quiz in SpeedGrader and clicked the dashes in the points field, any scores typed in the field were inserted around the dashes instead of remove them completely. This behavior occurred because the points field was not focusing correctly on the dashes. Canvas code has been updated to remove the dashes when points are entered in the field.

You can test this feature in your own beta instance.  Find  out more at How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

canvas_admin
Community Champion

w00t!   I've already tried it out and it is definitely an improvement!   Thanks  @Renee_Carney ​ and all at Instructure for all that you do. Smiley Happy

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This feature is complete.  You can find more information in the Canvas Production Release Notes (2015-09-19)

cwendt
Community Champion

Will it only apply to newly created quizzes? I just tried it on a quiz I gave a couple of days ago, but it didn't work (see screen shot).

Screen Shot 2015-09-15 at 11.10.38 AM.png

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Constancia.

The Production Release is not actually until this weekend!  The dashes will be gone for your grading from Sunday forward!  This feature is still in beta if you want to test it there!

cwendt
Community Champion

Noooooo! I am literally in tears!

I had half a class's work graded. For the write-ins, they might have gotten half a point–---THAT IS GONE!!! THE DASHES ARE GONE BUT IT'S A DROP DOWN!!!

I think people just wanted to be able to type in numbers without having to delete dashes. Please tell me that this is not "the final answer". Is this actually what users indicated that they wanted?  Smiley Sad