Remove Student groups container

0 Likes
(2)

This comes from something that happened to me recently. 

As instructor of a team work intense course at our Uni, at the start of term i duly set up a group set and let the team formation to the students. However, alas, i also left the Let Students organise their own groups in Settings > Course details > More options  ticked! This resulted in some "creative" chaps starting to set their own groups (rather than using the groups that i had pre-set). I discovered the issue quite soon as i got notifications for most of the entailed student activity, and fixed things up, unticking the unwanted option, and deleting all bogus groups BUT ... I can't get rid of the Student groups folder ... which i think is silly as now it is just an empty folder.

Shouldn't it be possible, for  course manager, to also remove the empty folder which, i suspect, is just a quirk of the system (I don't think it was created by a student!).

7 Comments
julia_m_hopkins
Community Explorer

This idea must have been submitted before. I too would like to be able to remove this tab as it complicates matters when delivering training.  

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@maazito Before we move this forward for broader discussion, I wanted to make sure you knew that when the course setting is disabled, the Student Groups folder is not visible to students on their People tab. Thanks.

maazito
Community Member
Author

@Stef_retired sure, that's the way things are right now, in my portal.

But it's a matter of principle: it's annoying that things are not 100% reversible. I can change the setting preventing new groups from being created, i can even freely delete the student created groups BUT i cannot remove their container (!)

If anybody gave me a technical reason for that asymmetry I could accept it, but as it is it looks like somebody just forgot to include a button that called  "delete_folder(Student groups)" somewhere!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

jlubkinchavez
Community Contributor

I came here to submit the same idea. This was from awhile back, but in my case the Student Groups group set was created because I did an SIS import of group enrollments without first creating group sets. The system successfully created the groups and put them in a groupset called "Student Groups," but the functionality of the groupset was limited (could not be used for grading). I wanted to delete the group set, but the usual edit buttons were not visible. I removed the enrollments but couldn't remove teh group set, and it just ended up confusing the teachers. Disabling the option for students to create group was not an option because there were multiple faculty in the course and some wanted that option enabled.

chamilaperera
Community Novice

It would be great if I can remove student created extra columns in People tab. Hope this feature will be available soon.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.