Remove Timestamp Speedgrader- Teacher

(11)

Teachers mark at all hours of the morning / night. We also can sometimes push our drafting and grading to the last minute. We would like the option to remove the timestamp within speedgrader for teachers feedback only. 

14 Comments
LM4
Community Member

I agree, please remove the date/time stamp in the Comments section of Speedgrader.

v_e_rogers
Community Member

I completely agree with this. I can't believe we can't do this. 

InstructorK
Community Member

There should be a way to hide/remove the time stamp on the professor's comments. 

Frankly, it's none of my students' business if I'm grading at 4 am.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

poppy98
Community Member

I agree. With students and teachers in all time zones, it seems important to have this option.

poppy98
Community Member

I agree! I don't want students to know when I am grading - I feel like that could be a whole conversation -- 'you graded this at 4am! you aren't thinking right.'

I am moving to Canvas from Sakai, which allowed instructors to change the post of assignments and discussions to a DATE, with no timestamp. This should be easy.

Cmposma
Community Novice

Agreed, I have it set to manual posting of grades, and I've had a student angry that their grade wasn't posted as soon as I graded it (which they could tell from the time stamp). It would be much better if the timestamp wasn't with the comments.

lmvelez
Community Member

I agree! Yes, to keep private when I'm grading, but also because sometimes it takes me a while to get to an assignment. I can tell kiddos "I'm working through those" (even though I have NOT had time to get to them) to allow me time to get to them! With comment timestamps off, I can "work through those" and not worry that my timing is not the same as their timing. A few weeks after submission? No worries - they won't know.

Lguzman23
Community Member

I am an instructor and I submit comments on my students submissions often. Unfortunately I find that I do not feel comfortable posting comments late at night because it seems inappropriate and it feels like it gives the students too much personal information about my habits. I would like for there to be an option to post a comment without a time stamp. I can use this in conjunction with hiding grades so that students are not able to see the comments or grades until I have posted them manually. 

Lguzman23
Community Member

I wanted to comment because I finally found a way around this, but it is a little annoying. I can hide grades and then save comments as drafts by typing in my comment, then moving on to the next student on SpeedGrader. It will ask me "do you want to proceed and save this comment as a draft?" then I move on and it will save it until I think it is an appropriate time to post it. It is annoying to have to go back and submit all the comments later, but better than not being able to work late at night. 

Hopefully the timestamp will be removed/optional soon and it won't be as tedious.

mmrobitaille
Community Member

This is a privacy issue. I don’t necessarily want students to know that I’m up at 4:30 am grading, or that I waited until twenty minutes before class to read and grade that last paper. 

dpbanana1
Community Member

I agree with everyone. I cannot believe we cannot remove the time stamp in Speedgrader comments. I hope that this could be made a priority. As an instructor, I feel uncomfortable that students know what times and days I am grading papers. 

NRW5
Community Member

I AGREE. It's a feature that should not be mandatory. 

It does not seem like CANVAS feels this is a priority, which is beyond unfortunate. 

It is a total invasion of privacy ... perhaps Canvas should also volunteer that not only am I grading papers at 3 a.m., but I am also wearing Sesame Street pajamas and drinking a hot toddy. 

The time is as irrelevant as what I'm wearing. So Fix It Canvas Jesus. Fix it.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.