Remove colour overlay from course cards that have an image

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Howdy all,

Firstly I have to say the new course cards image feature is awesome and a great leap forward. I have been using it a bit now and have a small request for a future revision.

When a course is given an image for the course card on a user's dashboard, I would really like to see the colour overlay removed (so that the image does not looked washed out with the user selected colour).

Ideally, I would love to see this configurable on an account level rather than an individual course level, but that is just from an administrator's perspective.

Just to visualise this more, the current behaviour with a couple of different colours:

200569_canvas_demo_1.pngcanvas_demo_1.png

200579_canvas_demo_2.pngcanvas_demo_2.png

And the ideal/requested behaviour:

200580_canvas_demo_3.pngcanvas_demo_3.png

Additional thoughts:

I do realise the colour is important for a few different areas in relation to the course, so perhaps the bottom bar could be extended as a border around the entire card (just as one example).

Many thanks  team,

Keep up the awesome work!

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-05-13) 

208 Comments
mjennings
Community Contributor

I know I am a bit late but I really like  @stuart_ryan ​'s last example above. However I agree that the potential for the disappearing edit button could be an issue. But since the edit functionality also allows for giving courses a nick name could it be moved down into the white box like this:

canvas_demo_edit.png

stuart_ryan
Community Novice

OOH now I really like that as an idea  @mjennings ​.

Now we just need a few more people to help spread the word around.

Oh  @travis_cox ​, geraint_draheim​ is this something you could see being of use to Adelaide?

rgibson1
Community Champion

@mjennings ​ That's PERFECT.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

I just voted this up, and to be clear, I'm specifically voting for  @mjennings ​' mock-up. It preserves the persistence of the colors across the Dashboard and the Calendar, and won't obliterate the edit button. Smiley Happy

mjennings
Community Contributor

stefaniesanders​, rgibson1​, &  @stuart_ryan ​ - Awww... Thanks guys!

johnmartin
Community Champion

+1 for letting students change both the image and the overlay. But I trust the instructor (vs institutional designer or design standards) in choosing an image that most appropriately conveys the course content that the instructor teaches in their class.

rgibson1
Community Champion

How many votes does it take to get their attention? And how can we push this more?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

rgibson1​ You always have our attention!

How does the voting process work for feature ideas?​ may help answer some of your questions.

Along with Ideas: State of the Union

gschultz
Community Contributor

I would believe the color or no color choice should be of the teachers perspective.  Instead of just removing the color all together go with one of the choices that is used throughout the Microsoft Office suite and that is "No Color".  This way it becomes a total choice package that meets all needs.  Those that like the shading and those that like the image crisp/clean.

Choice is good! Having no choice is bad!

rgibson1
Community Champion

ANYTHING would be better.