Remove colour overlay from course cards that have an image

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Howdy all,

Firstly I have to say the new course cards image feature is awesome and a great leap forward. I have been using it a bit now and have a small request for a future revision.

When a course is given an image for the course card on a user's dashboard, I would really like to see the colour overlay removed (so that the image does not looked washed out with the user selected colour).

Ideally, I would love to see this configurable on an account level rather than an individual course level, but that is just from an administrator's perspective.

Just to visualise this more, the current behaviour with a couple of different colours:

200569_canvas_demo_1.pngcanvas_demo_1.png

200579_canvas_demo_2.pngcanvas_demo_2.png

And the ideal/requested behaviour:

200580_canvas_demo_3.pngcanvas_demo_3.png

Additional thoughts:

I do realise the colour is important for a few different areas in relation to the course, so perhaps the bottom bar could be extended as a border around the entire card (just as one example).

Many thanks  team,

Keep up the awesome work!

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-05-13) 

208 Comments
sstramos
Community Member

I do like the colors, but the  pictures area appealing I actually cannot upload  picture to my cards as the option is not available settings. Is this true for everyone?

James
Community Champion

@sstramos ​,

I believe your local Canvas administrator needs to enable the "Enable Dashboard Images for Courses [beta]" feature before you can upload pictures. I know we have not done this at our site and I suspect that's what you're encountering as well.

sstramos
Community Member

James,

Thank you! I will communicate with our administrator.

Sincerely,

Sandra Stramoski, RDH, MSDH

Assistant Professor

University of Bridgeport

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you for pointing that out, kwarkent​; that's valuable information. But I still don't know what "return to neutral" means, and am hoping  @tina_powers ​ will clarify.

tmp06a
Community Novice

Apologies for leaving you hanging stefaniesanders​. Been busy getting folks into Canvas Smiley Happy. This was my journey:

I added an image to the course card (hope that is correct nomenclature).

I then changed the color (just to see what would happen). What I thought would happen, is that the portion of the card assigned to the title would be colorized.

What did happen, was that my image was colorized. I did not like that. ;(

So, then I wanted to eliminate the color (neutralize it).

I can not do that, which is the purpose of this vote (no?)

All I can do it to change to another color (like white), which is still ugly.

Does that make sense?

tom_gibson
Community Explorer

Totally makes sense. You want to remove the color, not change it.
I'd think the interface would be to either check the color box that is already selected again to deselect the color, or allow user to delete the hex code and use no color, totally removing a color once selected.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks,  @tina_powers . The "return" part of "return to neutral" was what confused me, because it was never neutral in the first place. And I definitely upvoted this; you'll see my comment to that effect way upthread. Smiley Happy

bgibson
Community Champion

If I want a color overlay on my image, I'll create a new layer in Toolpic and set the opacity to 35, flatten the image and save it.  I don't think the color overlay does anything positive and it discriminates against those that are color blind.

rgibson1
Community Champion

ABSOLUTELY correct, Bill. I've maintained all along that it does not conform to accessibility standards.

rgibson1
Community Champion

I just noticed there's a lot of 'Gibsons' remarking on this thread. No, we're not colluding. 😃