[Courses] Remove long name/short name distinction for courses when they are the same

When the course code is identical to the course name, would it be possible to just use one course name, instead of distinguishing between long name and short name (i.e. course code)? Having this distinction leads to confusion, as the course code is not visible in the list of courses in the "Courses" menu, and neither in the Inbox. On the other hand, when using the same name for the course name and the course code, this appears twice on the Dashboard, which is superfluous.

12 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

@KyraK 

Thanks for sharing this idea. As currently written, this isn't something we could implement, because Course Name and Course Code have two distinctly separate functions in Canvas and for Canvas admins. Courses created via SIS typically display course names and course codes that are different, whereas manually-created courses that do not integrate with an SIS can have course names and course code names that are identical because in this case the course will not feed into the SIS and so the course code doesn't matter.

Would you consider sharing a different idea that focuses on how the course names and course codes display to students and teachers?

KyraK
Community Member

Hi @Stef_retired thank you for the explanation. Would it be possible to propose something like "Hide course code on Dashboard when it is identical to the course name"?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@KyraK 

Certainly! Please edit the idea description to incorporate that revision.

KyraK
Community Member

@Stef_retired 

Sorry, but how do I do this?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@KyraK You should see a three-dot menu (sometimes called the "skinny snowman") at the upper right of the page. Click on that and select Edit Idea from the dropdown menu.

KyraK
Community Member

canvas.png

@Stef_retired I find the skinny snowman, but it doesn't give me the option to edit the idea.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@KyraK 

The platform has a seven-day limit on user edits, which is why that option is no longer available on your skinny snowman (lol). I've edited the idea on your behalf and have moved it forward for conversation. If the edits don't capture your intention, just let me know and I'll amend them.

Thanks!

KyraK
Community Member

@Stef_retiredPerfect, thanks!