Remove "Deleted By...." from Discussions

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea open for vote Wed. January 6, 2016 - Wed. April 6, 2016  Learn more about voting...

Hello,

I would like to revisit the archived idea Option to Remove "This Entry Has Been Deleted" in Discussions and open this back up with this new idea, such that the "Deleted by ...." message does not display when a post is deleted by the teacher. Leaving these messages pose an unnecessary clutter to the display esp. when an instructor uses the Student View for testing, unknowingly posts to a discussion, and then needs to clean up their evil doings prior to course activity. Students have no need to see these messages. At a minimum, perhaps the idea can focus on a redesign of the Student View tool so that the reset functionality removes discussions as well....?

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-02-18) 

46 Comments
allison
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@crafte ​, can you possibly share a few screenshots that display exactly what you mean by "

shows as a student having submitted something in SpeedGrader (orange mark next to the student's name) and the discussion post notification icon remains in the gradebook as well. "

I will find out how difficult it would be to remove the "This Entry Has Been Deleted" from student view. That may be a relatively easy fix that removes the clutter from the student's experience, at the vary least. Thanks all!

crafte
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Deactivated user​, please see the images below.

SpeedGrader:

2016-04-18_9-38-17.jpg

Gradebook:

2016-04-18_9-47-35.jpg

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Elizabeth:

Even though the orange button still displays in SpeedGrader, no actual discussion text will display, and as soon as you enter a zero (or whatever grade you provide), bot the orange dot in SpeedGrader, and the discussion icon in gradebook will be replaced.

I always recommend that non-submissions be graded zero so that the gradebook accurately calculates the student grade.

That being said, I have still voted in favor of this idea. When appropriate, we should be able to hide those "Deleted by". For example, I have a continuous enrollment faculty professional development course. Occasionally, I like to clean up the discussions so that they are more easily used by a new cohort, but having to scroll down a large number of "Deleted By" entries, is just as bad as keeping those entries.

Agent K

lisahistory
Community Novice

I often just try to test something in a forum, and it's embarrassing to have my deleted posts there. It also confuses students, who wonder what I didn't say!

llane2
Community Member

Just discovered that this also happens with "Edited by" for other teachers in the class. I definitely don't want that showing!

crafte
Community Coach
Community Coach

The next production release will include and update to remove the gradebook submission indicator for discussion posts if students delete their submission! Smiley Happy

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in development

December 2016 update

This idea is currently in development

shane_ohara
Community Champion

Excellent!!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2017-02-06) 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-01-28)   https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-8835