Remove the Dashes from the Score Box in Quizzes and Exams

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
  Idea will be open for vote May 5th, 2015 - August 5th, 2015  Learn more about voting...

Currently, the score box for an ungraded question is pre-filled with two dashes: --

Those dashes must be selected and deleted before a score can be entered, which takes extra time/clicks. Sometimes I accidentally leave a dash behind and the student gets a negative score rather than a positive score. You can imagine how well that is received.

Could we just have a blank score box? Or, if the dashes can't be eliminated, please replace them with a character that can't be misread as a minus sign. An asterisk, perhaps? For unanswered questions, pre-filling the box with a 0 would also save time.

Comments from Instructure...

Greetings all!  We often remind the Community that even archived ideas can become a real feature, and this one is proof of that!

This feature is complete.  You can find more information in the Canvas Production Release Notes (2015-09-19)

Manual Quiz Question Grading

In a manually graded quiz question, instructors no longer have to remove the dashes in the point field. Once an instructor starts typing a score, the dashes are removed automatically. However, if no value is entered and dashes are still present, the question is still considered ungraded.

18 Comments
Beth_Young
Community Contributor

Wonderful news! I can hardly wait to grade something now. Smiley Happy

kmeeusen
Community Champion

I know Beth, right - I wish the new term was here. Oh wait, not really. I have too many projects to get done during the break!

cwendt
Community Champion

OH MY GOSH, THAAAAANK you!!!!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This feature is complete.  You can find more information in the Canvas Production Release Notes (2015-09-19)

Manual Quiz Question Grading

In a manually graded quiz question, instructors no longer have to remove the dashes in the point field. Once an instructor starts typing a score, the dashes are removed automatically. However, if no value is entered and dashes are still present, the question is still considered ungraded.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

ROI.png

Thank you to  @Beth_Young  for submitting this idea, as well as, mhebert, barrybrown, and lcroney for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of the Canvas! Smiley Happy

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed