Removing Selected Items from To Do and Activity Stream

(1)

Instructor ability to remove selected published items from the course To Do List, and Course Activity Stream on students end to force them to access the items from the actual course to read specific directions.

6 Comments
James
Community Champion

Depending on your students, this won't force them to go into the course.

I regularly put my instructions on a separate page from the assignment, but I typically link to them so that students can get from the To Do list to the assignment to the instructions.

I got frustrated with students not getting into the course this spring after the COVID-19 shutdown -- yet expressing that I should provide videos [that were there, they just weren't getting into the course or watching them]. 

I did a slight variation on what I normally do on some Kahoots. To "force" students to read the instructions for the week, I put a note in the assignment about the Kahoot that the code was in the instructions page and explained how to get there (I wasn't even going to link to it because then they still wouldn't get into the course, they would just follow the link).

What happened is that many of them (community college students) just didn't do the Kahoot!

I often find that students will expend more energy putting something off than it would take to just do the assignment in the way you intended in the first place. If you don't put it on the To Do list, many of them will never see it.

What you might do instead is use requirements on a module so that they cannot do the assignments without at least checking off the material in the section. That doesn't always work out because of the way things are laid out, though.

There is a similar idea open for voting: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/15601-disable-the-to-do-list . I'm not sure if your idea applies to all items or just selected items.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for sharing this idea,  @amandathecarpen . Does the idea to which James linked, https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/15601-disable-the-to-do-list , essentially cover what you're hoping to be able to do?

amandathecarpen
Community Member

Essentially, except with the idea to only disable certain items. Such as when creating the assignment there could be a check box to include in ToDo list 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks, Amanda. We've made a few slight edits to the title and description to reflect that and have opened the idea for voting.

amandathecarpen
Community Member

Awesome thanks! 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.