Removing the "View All Pages" button

(1)
When you set up a course for anyone on the web to view various pages using the "Make this course publicly visible (student data will remain private)"  feature in the course settings, and you disable the Pages in the Course Navigational links.  The "View All Pages" button will still show to all who access the page.  If a user clicks on the button, it returns the user to the home page and informs them the page has been disabled.

Please add logic that when the Pages feature is disabled in the navigational section, the "View all button is disabled in the top of the page.  Currently if some is viewing pages from the module section, this heading is not shown.

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

61 Comments
allison
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

awilliams, thanks for checking these out. The process for designating a page as the front page hasn't changed. In the Instructor prototype, go to https://projects.invisionapp.com/share/UP3WQSWK3#/screens/96192494 and click on the Gear Icon to the right of the "Course Introduction" page. Then select "Use as Front Page" from the menu.

What has changed for both Instructors and Students:

1- Users view a listing of all pages when they click on "Pages" in the Course Navigation on the left.

2- We've removed the "View All Pages" button from the Modules and Pages areas.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other comments or suggestions.

allison
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@mjennings ​, that is good feedback. I will relay that back to the UX team. Thank you for your .02!

allison
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi  @BKINNEY ​,

Here's a short video showing the same course from the Student's point of view with the Pages link deactivated. Today, when students attempt to access the Pages area when it has already been removed from the Course Navigation menu on the left, we redirect them to the Course Home Page along with a message at the top of the page that states "This page has been disabled for this course." Is that the behavior you would expect? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

BKINNEY
Community Contributor

Allison,

Well, ideally, students would never see a link to Pages at all, not even in the breadcrumbs. They could of course still guess the url, and if they did that, I'd expect them to get some sort of an error message. The one I just saw in the video didn't get the job done. I'd expect to get to something more along the lines of a full-fledged "Unauthorized" page, perhaps with a link to the home page.

Speaking of breadcrumbs, I have always had a problem with the way Canvas breadcrumbs are constructed. For example, when you are in a Module, and you look up at the breadcrumbs, you sometimes see Pages, sometimes Files, sometimes Assignments, etc. I think it would be better if you saw the specific Module name, and if you clicked on it, you'd get that module's menu of pages, or perhaps the module's first page. I'm in the page because it is part of the module, not because it is part of Quizzes, or Assignments, or whatever else it happens to be. Because Canvas breadcrumbs obey a different logic, they are not particularly helpful as navigational aids. They might even be a hindrance. I certainly find them to be so.

mpoole
Community Explorer

Yes!  Modules makes a lot more sense if there is a module breadcrumb. 

ccalderon
Community Champion

I agree with the comments above - not seeing a huge difference, but it is great to have the "View All Pages" button removed, which is a source of endless confusion! Thank you!!

allison
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Awesome feedback, @Becky_Kinny! I'm happy to report that this is something the UX team has discussed already. I have forwarded this to make sure it stays on our radar. Keep it coming!

vrs07nl
Community Contributor

Please vote for this!  Allow deselection of Front page status

jleung
Community Member

Agree!! It makes sense to link Pages button on side navigation to the Pages index page instead of the Front page, and get rid of View All Pages button.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

A small change was made that removes the 'view all pages' button from student view.

We will be archiving this idea, for further changes to this feature will most likely not be planned in the next 6-18 months.

robert_wakelyn
Community Novice

Will this be in the next release?

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Robert:

I believe that change was made several releases ago. But I'm old and time does not work the same for me:smileysilly:

BKINNEY
Community Contributor

OMG. Every single time I have to click on that View All button to get to my pages menu, I think of this thread, and wonder when I'll start getting the menu by default whenever I click on the Pages tool. If I'm understanding you correctly, the answer is 'probably never'. Is that right? Are you saying that the only thing that is going to come of all this is that students won't see 'view all pages' after pages have been removed from the active navigation links? That's very disappointing.

I sort of get why the pages menu is hard to get at.  It is in the nature of a wiki that pages are not organized at all. Still, when I'm trying to find a particular page, or even remember what I've put into my wikis, the page menu is the best I've got. Maybe the thing to do is create a Site Map module, and use that as the launch pad for new Pages. That way I'd have a menu of pages I could nest and sequence. I don't suppose your engineers would consider replacing the existing 'All Pages' with an 'All Pages' module that updates automatically every time a new page is created?

robert_wakelyn
Community Novice

I just checked and in the old UI it still shows the View All Pages button.

rniolon
Community Explorer

I'm late on this, but I would agree... and if you remove the button, then we should be able to move the content of the page up so the top 2 inches of the page is not a large blank space....

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

hechla
Community Participant

I know this is an old thread, but I've been searching for this so I can suggest or vote up the idea that clicking on "Pages" in the course navigation should take the instruction/designer to the Pages index and NOT to the home page. If this is a feature request somewhere can someone please share a link to it so I can vote it up. Thanks.

MF2020
Community Member

Please get rid of the view all pages button when pages is disabled in navigation.

dlyons
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Apologies there has not been a comment on this sooner!

This was fixed in a previous release and this idea was never updated. If Pages is hidden in the navigation students should not be able to get to the Pages Index, and the "View All Pages" button is removed for them. Additionally if they try to navigate directly to /pages they are redirected to the course home page with a notice.