cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing the "View All Pages" button

Removing the "View All Pages" button

When you set up a course for anyone on the web to view various pages using the "Make this course publicly visible (student data will remain private)"  feature in the course settings, and you disable the Pages in the Course Navigational links.  The "View All Pages" button will still show to all who access the page.  If a user clicks on the button, it returns the user to the home page and informs them the page has been disabled.

Please add logic that when the Pages feature is disabled in the navigational section, the "View all button is disabled in the top of the page.  Currently if some is viewing pages from the module section, this heading is not shown.

58 Comments
Surveyor

This makes sense, and (to my layperson's eye) would seem relatively simple to implement.

Community Member

Agreed robert_wakelyn@scps.k12.fl.us​, this should be how it works imho.

Community Member

Now, this really makes sense in more ways than one!

Instructure
Instructure

I agree with this change.  If you have hidden the pages navigation, then you don't want user to go to a random list of pages.  This is confusing for the user.  I love many of the new look changes to Canvas that have happened over the last year or so and having a list of the pages is a great change from the old sidebar page list, but the View All Pages button should not be visible to all users all the time.

Community Member

Maybe this needs to be moved to bug reports.

Community Coach
Community Coach

We've talked with Canvas and they don't consider it a bug. sadpanda​

Community Member

Oookaay. I guess I will vote for it, then.

Community Coach
Community Coach

LOL... 🙂

Surveyor

As has been said already. If you have removed the page link then having the View all pages is pointless.

I think it would be a useful course setting option to either enable or disable as required.

Community Member

We also spoke to our CSM about this problem yesterday and shared the screenshots below. This creates confusion for students in any course when the instructor has purposely hidden Pages from course navigation. When students view an individual page via a module they are invited with cookie crumb navigation and a big View All Pages button, then they encounter a confusing error telling them "this page has been disabled for this course". If you hide Pages from Navigation, that button and the cookie crumbs should not provide a link to the user that they are not permitted to view.

screenshot1.png

screenshot2.png