Removing the "View All Pages" button

(1)
When you set up a course for anyone on the web to view various pages using the "Make this course publicly visible (student data will remain private)"  feature in the course settings, and you disable the Pages in the Course Navigational links.  The "View All Pages" button will still show to all who access the page.  If a user clicks on the button, it returns the user to the home page and informs them the page has been disabled.

Please add logic that when the Pages feature is disabled in the navigational section, the "View all button is disabled in the top of the page.  Currently if some is viewing pages from the module section, this heading is not shown.

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

61 Comments
mpoole
Community Explorer

​the only use cases I have been able to imagine in which I would want a pages front page can all be accommodated easily within this description (basically linking to a page rather than having a front page) as long as the ability to set a page as the home page is preserved.

BKINNEY
Community Contributor

Yes, I think opening the menu is an improvement over going to the home page, especially when the course's default page is already going to Pages/home. As I stated earlier, I think there are much better solutions available, but if I have to choose between those two, let's go with  All Pages. That would be more consistent with the way other menu links work.

robert_wakelyn
Community Novice

Yes this is what needs to happen.

hensonj
Community Novice

I agree completely. Defaulting to the "Home Page" instead of the list view is cumbersome and often frustrating. I spoke with the Canvas team at Instructurecon last year about this and was provided with a script to accommodate hiding the "view all Pages" button based on user permissions, but it doesn't completely address the issue.
The real solution seems pretty darn simple; a combination of both of the suggested changes.

1. Remove the "View all Pages" button.

2. Default to the "Pages" list view.

Currently, if I'm not mistaken, by default if "Pages" is hidden (on the left hand menu) the students are denied access to the list view when attempting to follow the breadcrumbs, so that doesn't seem to me to be much of an issue to me.

MattHanes
Community Champion

Would you mind sharing that script to hide the button?

hvaughn
Community Contributor

Hiding the "Pages" link in the left hand navigation menu does not remove the "View All Pages" button from the top of any content page that is accessible to students via Modules.  When a student clicks that button, they are redirected to the course homepage. It is a big issue for us as it is confusing and very frustrating to students. True, they do not see the list view of pages, but that is precisely WHY it is an issue. If the Pages link is hidden in the course, then the View All Pages button should be hidden as well.

hensonj
Community Novice

I agree, however I think you may have misinterpreted what I was getting at.

I personally think the "View All Pages" button should go away completely (regardless of whether or not "Pages" is hidden on the left hand menu) .

My comment about it not being much of an issue was solely about the breadcrumbs, it had nothing to do with the "View All Pages" button.

Really what is being proposed here is (what should be) a quick fix. With the talented folks at Canvas, I cant imagine that implementing this change would take even as much time at it took for us to write these comments here.

jperkins
Instructure
Instructure

I believe this also has relation to the feature request of ​... But it'd be great if I link to a page from another page that the breadcrumb trail would lead me back to the last page I was on...

heidi1
Community Contributor

I absolutely agree and I want to vote this up, but can't figure out how.  Can somebody help me with that?

Thanks

Heidi

kona
Community Champion

@heidi1 ​, this feature idea is no longer up for voting because it's moved past the voting stage and is on to the gathering information stage. You can tell this because it's got the blue box with "gathering information" next to the title.

Yet, what you can do to help is add your comments of why you'd like the button to go away!

robin_galloway
Community Participant

I didn't realize this feature idea was no longer open for voting. The top of the page still states "Idea will be open for vote May 5th, 2015 - August 5th, 2015"

hvaughn
Community Contributor

Ooh - good news.  Maybe this one is on the fast track?! Smiley Happy

jperkins
Instructure
Instructure

Robin - You're not the only one this has confused. It turns out that once there is enough demand for something we start gathering information to see what it would take to implement it. So you can still give feedback in the comments, but voting is only until we realize that there is a high enough demand for something. Take a look at this document that explains the process for more information. How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

robin_galloway
Community Participant

Thanks for that info, Jeremy!

vrs07nl
Community Contributor

I am not sure if this idea and all the subsequent discussions  cover the need to do away with the fact that once you label a page front page you are stuck for with it or another page as a front page for evet

Either do away with front page labeling all together or provide the means to not have any front page if so required

There are two similar feature requests in old canvas community that could be taken on board here:  i have now posted this asa

i have now posted this as a new feature idea

allison
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hey Awesome Canvas Community:

The UX team has put together two prototypes for what it would look like to navigate a Canvas course without the "View All Pages" button. We've also linked the Pages button in the course navigation to the Pages Index Page rather than the "Front Page". Check these prototypes out and tell us what you think.

Teacher View: https://invis.io/UP3WQSWK3

Student View: https://invis.io/3R3WQTSAG

We're as excited as you are to simplify the user experience, but we also want to ensure that these changes won't have any secondary effects on our users. All voters on this thread are welcome to post their thumbs up, thumbs down, or other suggestions below.

Thanks again for your feedback!

Allison

awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hey Deactivated user​, I only took a few minutes to review these but I couldn't see much difference except in the first one it did not seem there was a page designated as front page. If you could elaborate on the differences that would be helpful. That being said I like the way the second prototype is looking.

robert_wakelyn
Community Novice

I concur with awilliams​ I didn't seem much difference or how to navigate to "View All Pages" view vs "the Front Page View" some some sort of narration would be helpful.  I do like that View All Pages button is removed.

BKINNEY
Community Contributor

I was a little confused because in the Instructor view, the Pages menu link was gray, indicating that the tool had been deactivated, presumably in the Settings>Navigation  tab, but in the student view, the Pages link was live. I sort of thought the whole point of this request was to give instructors the option to prevent students from visiting Pages out of context. So, if they are on the home page, they see that. If they are in a module that has been released, they see those pages. They should not (IMO) be able to browse to the All Pages view if the link appears grey to the instructor.

I love the fact that we can designate any page as the front page, and linking the Pages menu link to All Pages is an improvement as well.

mjennings
Community Contributor

I like that now the main pages list is displayed when clicking on the Pages option in the left hand menu. I am not sure why there needs to be a designation for the "Front Page" at all. Certainly not from the student perspective.

I see the need to mark in the pages list for the instructor if a certain page is set to be the Course Home Page. It is odd that this is marked on the student view, but not the instructor's. I would think it would be flipped.

8-18-2015 2-20-09 PM.png 8-18-2015 2-20-23 PM.png

In my opinion the student doesn't need that information either on the pages list of when viewing that page itself. I would like to see the designation to only be when the instructor is viewing the list of pages.

two_cents.jpg