[New Quizzes] Renamed Files after Migrating a Classic Quiz to a New Quiz

tl;dr

When migrating Classic Quizzes to New Quizzes, any files attached to quiz questions get renamed.  Attached file names should not be renamed during migration.

More Context

I recently migrated a Classic Quiz to a New Quiz in my sandbox course to do some testing.  In the Classic Quiz, there is a brief set of up-front instructions for students which includes two links to PDF files (both of which have been uploaded to my "Files" area of the course).  When I click on the link to test out the links, they download as expected with the proper file names.  After I migrated this Classic Quiz to a New Quiz, the instructions migrated, but the file names of my two PDF files completely changed...

• From Fluid Power Symbols.pdf to 9951ad4efd9bf3d01499646986c8075d.pdf
  • From LP1 Lab.pdf to 962c3dd9ef629ce2497a1aa8d37eeefa.pdf

*As a side note, neither of these re-named files are in my course "Files" screen.  It seems the files get saved to a different location, and I have no way to access them.

I downloaded both of these PDFs to ensure the content was still intact for both files (thankfully it was).  However, I am unclear why the file names have to change.  If a student had to download multiple files prior to taking a quiz, I could definitely see how this could be confusing to know which file to open... especially, if the directions told students to "Download the LP1 Lab.pdf file", for example...and then they get a file download similar to what I've shown above.

I also tried embedding an image in a Classic Quiz with the file name "Olaf.jpg", but once the Classic Quiz had been migrated, the file name of that image had also changed to a long string of letters and numbers.

So, it seems like any attached/embedded files (images, documents, etc.) get renamed during the migration process.  Can this be fixed so that the file names do not change?

Added to Theme

Technical Functionality Theme Status: Identified

6 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

TiffanyStull
Community Participant

Having random string IDs for file names is also a problem for accessibility.

Hildi_Pardo
Community Champion

Thanks for testing and finding this!   Yes, this is problematic -- and also the fact that the file does not exist in your Files.   

chenshall
Community Participant

Agree this is problematic!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme