Reorder Dashboard Boxes

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

At this time of year, I have both spring and summer courses listed on my dashboard along with some other groups I am involved with.  I use them all regularly.  I would love to be able to reorder the boxes to put the most important/relevant courses at the top of the screen and leave some of the lesser used ones at the bottom.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-15947 .

59 Comments
awarmar
Community Participant

I've wondered about this too. I have have an idea ( ) with far less votes than yours in the voting stage also. I tried posting it in relevant groups, but that didn't seem to make an impact. I have thought I might need to make "vote for me" cards/buttons to take to Instructurecon next month, hahah. But I'm not sure that is a very "practical" idea. Smiley Wink

tbunag
Community Champion

I love the idea of vote for me materials at InstructureCon! Particularly if there's sessions related to the feature idea, you could talk to people who really care.

We're working on creating relationships with other institutions to try to get votes, too. I also teach as many of our faculty as are interested about how to vote. It's surprisingly easy, but most assume it'll be difficult.

richardm
Community Novice

This is an often requested feature by my students. They have some teachers who are much more active in the LMS than others and they want those courses in prime location.

awarmar
Community Participant

Thanks Tara! Those are also good ideas. I'll be happy to spread the word about any of your institution's ideas at mine also. There are just so many ideas open for voting at a time that most never even get seen.

bgibson
Community Champion

Isn't it obvious?  You visit all items that are up for voting, and make an entry, such as you have done here, with a link back to your item for voting;-)  I say it facetiously, but I know that I have been drawn to vote on a buried item because someone made a link back to it.  *But, don't limit yourself to just voting items... join every Group and reply to items for discussion there too, but always with a link back to your voting item. 

In the past, I have entered a few items for voting, and I recall once going through every item, one by one, from the ones that had gotten the highest votes all the way down to mine, which was buried in a long list of "1 only" votes.  Here, my obviously great idea, with no chance to see the light of day, spent its voting period until it was archived.  But still I say, "Someday, people will realize that course cards could be a third of the size they currently are so you could fit more on a screen at one time... and still do the job they do😉

awarmar
Community Participant

Thanks Bill--that is good advice (and I always love commiserating Smiley Happy )! May have to try to find some time this week to post my link more places Smiley Happy

bgibson
Community Champion

I didn't mention that once it becomes obvious what you are doing, leaving a link back to vote, you will become one of the most reviled community members, and at some point, people will probably visit and vote "NO" just for spite;-)  Oh, and these "link backs" may stick around for years.  Many years ago, at the start of my higher ed IT career, I was made Webmaster.  I started visiting all the Guest Books I could find, and would leave a "Hello from Fayetteville State" and a link back to the institution.  If you do a Google search for "bill@mis1.uncfsu.edu" you can still find Guest Book entries that I made back in 1995/6.

If any Canvas user can become a part of this community, then you probably should notify all the students and faculty at your institution, to come vote for your idea.  Start all your faculty training, or assistance, with a visit to the Canvas Community, and "while we're here" why not vote?-)

lezonl2
Community Contributor

This is a great idea. I would love to drag and drop to re-order my tiles. I'd also love to "resize" the titles so that I could see more in the screen.

wjames
Community Contributor

Absolutely Agree!  The Dashboard is a great system, but needs to be dynamic...

• Drag-Drop organization of Tiles
  • Resize option (small, med, large?)
  • Use image for tile banner (like Canvas Network)
awarmar
Community Participant

It is true what they say about things on the interweb living in perpetuity...I'll be careful Smiley Wink. ...I also won't tell you how old I was in '95, haha!

I will ask the faculty to vote--good idea!