Reorder Dashboard Boxes

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

At this time of year, I have both spring and summer courses listed on my dashboard along with some other groups I am involved with.  I use them all regularly.  I would love to be able to reorder the boxes to put the most important/relevant courses at the top of the screen and leave some of the lesser used ones at the bottom.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-15947 .

59 Comments
mwade
Community Novice

This is also a great suggestion. Changing the default assignment time:

rosmith
Community Novice

I vote for the ability to reorder the dashboard courses as I teach 6 different courses throughout the year and scrolling around to find the current ones is not efficient.

rosmith
Community Novice

I vote for the ability to reorder the dashboard courses as I teach 6 different courses throughout the year and scrolling around to find the current ones is not efficient.

canvas_admin
Community Champion

100!  wohoo!

carlton dance.gif

khirschmann1
Community Novice

I would love to see a way to set some courses to always appear on the dashboard, and let the remaining slots fill in automatically.  Right now with the star system, it's all manual or all automatic.  But reordering the ones that are there is very important.

ronmarx
Community Contributor

Thank you, I've wondered about why this isn't a feature, but maybe it's related to the way Canvas treats elements within its domain as modifiable objects, or doesn't. Same applies to assignments and pages as it does with modules. Please look for my multiple selection idea and vote UP. Thanks.

bgibson
Community Champion

I noticed  Drag Courses on Dashboard​ which was 177 Up Voted, eventually was nixed because of the amount of work that would be required to implement this feature.  This was in January 2016.  It is obvious that it is a desired feature.  I think I've seen at least two other versions of this request, but with much smaller vote totals.

ginashelley
Community Novice

As a suggestion, could you allow a "drag and drop" feature, similar to moving an app on a tablet or iPhone? This would allow the user to place the icons in the order that suits them best.

don_bryn
Community Champion

Yes, to get a good idea to the next stage you have to become a Canvas politician. . .   though I still haven't figured out the Canvas equivalent of the campaign trail.    Or kissing babies.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

The best methods I've seen are posting on social media (like Twitter and including Canvas on it) and posting directly to some of the Community groups. I know I've also been personally messaged in the Community asking me to vote for ideas. 🙂