Replace Flash with HTML 5

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Adobe's have announced that they will no longer be pushing flash development instead recognising that HTML 5 replaces much of the functionality that was once provided by Flash.

https://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2015/11/flash-html5-and-open-web-standards.html

Please can Canvas remove the need for Flash across its Web platform as part of core functionality and replace it with HTML 5?

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-15947 .

50 Comments
khirschmann1
Community Novice

Renee,

It's been over a year since most browsers block flash.  This really needs to be a priority.  We are experiencing major problems administering exams that incorporate media recording.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2018-10-27) .

The following feature areas currently support the HTML5 update:

• Assignments
  • Announcements
  • Discussions
  • SpeedGrader comments

Remaining Canvas areas still require flash and will be switched to support HTML5 media in the next release.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@joel_mills  Thank You  for submitting this idea, as well as,  @kmeeusen  Thank You,   @a_birch  Thank You ,  @jbrady2  Thank You ,  @ffdixon  Thank You ,  @xcotto  Thank You ,  @jthoms  Thank You  ,  @dholton  Thank You ,  @susanjaw  Thank You ,  @cwindsor  Thank You ,  @jfridell  Thank You , jteaney Thank You , derek.hunt Thank You , khirschmann Thank You , gharbor Thank You ,  @ronmarx  Thank You ,  @Nancy_Webb_CCSF  Thank You  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of Canvas!

gharbor
Community Participant

Renee,

Two quick things from testing this in BETA:

1. It seems that when trying to view student recorded submission in the SpeedGrader there is just a message saying that the Submission Failed. When you view the submission through the mark book though it is visible and playable.
  2. In development it would be really useful to have a "Pause" button whilst recording so that instructors don't have to do an entire recording in one hit.

Saying all that though I LOVE THIS CHANGE!!!

THANK YOU CANVAS!

Jeff_F
Community Champion

+1 for pause button idea.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Thanks, Grant.  I'll pass on the first piece of feedback.  The 2nd one might need to be a new feature idea.

jingyu_huo
Community Novice

I just tried logging in the beta site, but the "record/upload media" function in "Assignments" still required flash. Do you have timeline for its replacement? 

garrett_william
Community Participant

I am having issues getting it to work when trying to edit a page. The same goes for Speedgrader and assignments. Super bummed. Any ideas?

Update: Nevermind. I was using Safari . . . why would Safari not be supported? 

I do however get a message about my webcam. I don't want to use my webcam, I want to record audio . . .296336_Screen Shot 2018-11-06 at 8.52.58 AM.png

kilian_seeber
Community Novice

Regularly (with just about any update of OS or Flash or Browser) running into Flash issues.... much support the idea of using HTML5

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas 

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2018-12-08) .