Replace Flash with HTML 5

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Adobe's have announced that they will no longer be pushing flash development instead recognising that HTML 5 replaces much of the functionality that was once provided by Flash.

https://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2015/11/flash-html5-and-open-web-standards.html

Please can Canvas remove the need for Flash across its Web platform as part of core functionality and replace it with HTML 5?

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-15947 .

50 Comments
Nancy_Webb_CCSF
Community Champion

Thanks  @Renee_Carney  - our teachers will be very happy about this.

jingyu_huo
Community Novice

It shows that the transfer from Flash to HTML 5 has been completed. However, I the record or upload media feature is still not working, neither the regular log in nor the beta environment. The screen shows "connecting" and never actually connects. Should I do something differently?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Jingyu

Have you used the help menu to the left on Canvas to "report a problem" and see if support can help you troubleshoot this?

jingyu_huo
Community Novice

Good idea. I'll try that. Thank you.

garrett_william
Community Participant

Hi Jingyu!

What web browser are you using? I noticed that the feature does not work with Safari. For whatever reason, its only works with Firefox and Chrome.

jingyu_huo
Community Novice

Yes, I'm using chrome.

garrett_william
Community Participant

Interesting. I just checked on my PC and it worked using Chrome. I then tried using Chrome on my Mac and got the error. Same network configuration and account details but different outcomes. 

jingyu_huo
Community Novice

I've tried it only on PC. The Flash is enabled since it's required, but then it is just "connecting" forever. If it's been replaced by HTML, should it still ask for Flash? I'm not sure what I did wrong. I already submitted a help ticket.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed