Report for comments in draft state

0 Likes
(3)

Hi,

We have recently received feedback from students who have not been able to view comments made by trainers in response to assessment submissions.

Upon investigation it was found that there were comments that had been left in draft state for several students. We would now like to check all assessment tasks to see if there are any other comments that have been left in draft state.

Is it possible to develop a feature that could pull up a report showing comments that are still in draft state? This could then be given to the trainers and they could then submit the comments correctly.

Cheers,

Wendy

3 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

Jeff_F
Community Champion

@wendy4 -  I was updating a Canvas Data report just yesterday which serves to identify the submission comments stuck in the draft state.  To my surprise, there were 682 unsubmitted instructor comments for one of our monthly terms.   I then looked at all three active terms and unfortunately found 1087 comments in the draft state.

I find this most unfortunate and view this as a notable flaw impacting learning.   It is happening as instructors are pressing the ‘next student’ arrow in the SpeedGrader prior to pressing the Submit button below the comment box.  After they enter text and navigate to the next student without submitting, they see this below on the left side of the screen.  It is green and does not stand out much so I think most ignore it or simply do not see it.

draftcomment.png

Canvas:  I believe this needs to be addressed by adding a flag in the gradebook or perhaps an entry on the Instructor To-Do list.  For the gradebook approach, perhaps add an icon to the left side of the cell to draw the instructors attention.  Also, the color of the above notification might be red to indicate an issue.  I might also suggest adding a line or two: 

Your comment was auto-saved as draft.
Your student cannot see your comment.
Return to the prior student and press Submit to post the comment.

Thanks for reading!

ps. a related discussion - 

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Replace-tiny-asterisk-with-quot-DRAFT-quot-for... 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.