[Reports] Enhancements for Provisioning Report

Problem statement:

Currently the provisioning report is "all or none" and it has to be manipulated upon receipt to stratify by course role, enrollment status, etc., etc.

Proposed solution:

Add additional "choice" criteria to the provisioning report including: - the ability to choose one or more course roles (simple checkboxes) - the ability to choose one or more enrollment statuses (simple checkboxes) - a free text box that respects wildcards for unique identifying data such as SIS identifiers I'm happy to mock this up if needed.

User role(s):

admin

6 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

brian_mullins
Community Participant

@reynlds I'm having a hard time following the purpose of these additional filters, beyond just limiting what comes out on the report. Could you add some use cases? What specific scenarios are you dealing with that would make this better to do in the report setup VS doing it in Excel or something similar?

reynlds
Community Coach
Community Coach

@brian_mullins My vision includes reducing the amount of time necessary to produce the report by filtering BEFORE generation. It's no different than what we do within databases by providing pre-execution criteria to reduce overhead and increase speed of reports. This may not be important for smaller institutions, but we've got over a quarter million unique users, with millions of enrollment "seats" across tens of thousands of courses...and we've only be using Canvas fully since Fall, 2021. Yes, I've got Canvas Data running and could generate these there, but that's only updated once a day, so the data can be up to 72 hours old. Some scenarios include:

- export deleted objects from the current term rather than generating a FULL report, then slicing it up
- using a wildcard to export only "MATH" courses

You get the idea...

brian_mullins
Community Participant

@reynlds I do get the idea, and I think it does make sense. I've always wished for a way to run the report for specific terms - in our case only the 'active' ones. You have my vote.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme