Request extension feature for students

0 Likes
(32)

With the move to remote learning and the pandemic causing more uncertainty for students I have more students than normal requesting assignment extensions. While it’s totally possible to go in and make the manual edits to extend assignments it’s time consuming. Could students get a button that allows them to request an extension on an assignment or other assessment. It would prompt them to state the length of extension requested. Then it would show up on the instructor notifications and the instructor could click like approve, decline or modify? It would make extension granting more streamlined and easier to provide. 

32 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

elui-131
Community Member

Love this idea!!

may027
Community Participant

I would like the ability to refresh or renew an Announcement such that an existing Announcement sorts back to the top of the list (as unread) and, as an option, another notification is sent. As it stands now, my only option appears to be creating an entirely new Announcement and just copy content from the existing Announcement. My common use case is when I post an Announcement about an upcoming assignment and I want that Announcement to appear again in the course stream, with a notification, when the due date for the assignment is near.

I have found the Canvas Announcements to be one of the most frustrating parts of the platform. For instance, copying Announcements that I want to reuse from a previous class just means I have to recreate them due to the issues I cite above.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

catherine_carne
Community Participant

I just want the ability to duplicate an announcement like I can with assignments. This year, we are remote on Friday and have to a new announcement up every Thursday explaining what students should be working on remotely on Fridays. Right now, I have to copy and past the announcement from the previous week, so the formatting is the same, and then update it.

I would love to be able to duplicate the old one then update it.

I also would like announcements to be moveable. When I imported content from the previous year, I often have to delete and redo all the announcements.

marita_bird
Community Participant

Great idea

ChrisMedina
Community Participant

Make it easier for and instructor to allow more time in a course. this should automatically adjust all due dates etc. 

I know different school vary the way they give access to a student for a course. 

here is a quick reference on how we do it. 

students are enrolled in a course and its related sections by our enrollment software. no faculty can add students to a course(per FERPA). 

our terms are set by the canvas admin and faculty are not able to change or override those dates and are not able to conclude a course. the term dates do that. 

our course shells are for the term and are not recycled term after term. they are assigned a term using sis id and are put is a specific subaccount based on year and term. 

our current method for extensions is for faculty to create a section in the course, put in dates. then they add the section to the student in the people page. 

the time consuming part is giving the access to the assignments to this section. if they just have due dates it is easy but if they have until dates they will have to go to each one and adjust those dates. 

the ideal method would be if canvas would be able to figure out how to have an instructor just click on a student and easily select something that would give them x amount of time to complete the course. 

this is especially needed in our current environment where students may be taking longer to complete a course than being face to face. 

canvassupport1
Community Explorer

Love, love, love this idea. PLEASE make it so.

dspiel
Community Participant

This is a great idea.... sadly since it is a great idea and helps with automation and making things better for the student and instructor they most likely will ignore it 😞

dhawley
Community Participant

Good idea! 

dspiel
Community Participant

helpdesk also has a good idea for another feature.  Hope he creates a feature request for that one as well.

arovner
Community Contributor

This is a great, student-centered idea!  

kwhitney1
Community Explorer

Excellent description, @ChrisMedina!

Mary_Ann
Community Member

This is a great idea!

I'd love to see this for course extension requests as well.

I like helpdesk's idea too. 

ChrisMedina
Community Participant

i did mine as a separate idea but it got merged with this one. 

HaroldNelson
Community Novice

Yes, Please!

BryceBattisti
Community Novice

I like the idea.

doug_romine
Community Participant

This would save many steps I feel from the current process to extend assignments and quizzes -

yes please!

gmcclure
Community Novice

Yes, this is a good idea!

rmorris
Community Novice

Wonderful idea!  Would benefit instructors and students significantly!