Request for voice-to-text authoring tool in Canvas pages

(1)

The voice recognition to text  tool in speed grader is fantastic and speeds up my feedback on assignments considerably. Any option to use the tool when I am writing content on canvas pages?- it would be a great help and speed up the process.

5 Comments
kryskeenie
Community Novice

This option would allow for students who have difficulty processing the written word to have the option of having it spoken to them. Creating an equitable platform for all learners.

sneedj
Community Member

My understanding of the request is that it would allow faculty to use speech to text software to dictate essays, comments, and other content directly into Canvas pages, quizzes, etc.  Faculty with reasonable accommodation needs related to carpal tunnel and tendinitis can go hands free.

ReneeBeee
Community Member

I agree with these comments, particularly, "voice recognition to text  tool in speed grader is fantastic and speeds up my feedback…" Integrating voice-to text across the entire Canvas platform would make for a more consistent and user-friendly UI/UX. I am seeing the value this integration would provide on a new level. I am an instructor with temporary nerve damage and am unable to type with my left hand. When students start a conversation I have to reply one handed. This has really slowed my class progress. If the voice-to-text authoring tool were integrated throughout this would be a non-issue. The above comment addresses a similar situation. 

ReneeBeee
Community Member

Following up on my previous comment, I work with a number of students with disabilities each semester. The inability to use a keyboard is not uncommon. Integrating voice-to text across the entire Canvas platform would provide important accommodations to students as well.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.