[Rich Content Editor] Restore Math Editor Functionality

The new Equation Editor is nice, but we've lost a couple of features that are quite useful if you enter a lot of equations into your courses.

1.) In the previous version, once you selected "Advanced" to enter equations using LaTex, it remained in the Advanced state for future equations on the same quiz, discussion, etc.  Now, I have to click on "Directly Edit LaTex" every time, which is a pain to remember if you're typing quickly.

2.)  Quite often, I need to type several lines of equations when demonstrating how to simplify an expression or solve an equation.  So, I need to be able to see the previous line(s) while typing a new equation.  The previous version allowed me to move the Equation Editor window around my screen.  The new version won't let me, so I have to keep writing the math out on paper and typing it into the editor.  The extra time adds up....

33 Comments
JoyHolly
Community Explorer

I am also finding the new editor to not be as easy to use as the old one. I am migrating an Algebra course that already has placed MathML, which I'm recreating in LaTeX in the Equation Editor. (And then I delete the MathML block.) It's extremely inconvenient to not be able to move the equation editor utility around so I can reference the math block I am recreating.

I also am frustrated at having to select "advanced mode" repeatedly.

Also frustrating is the loss of functionality to be able to select plain text (like 2x-4) and then select the equation editor, pulling that text into the editor.

Overall the new editor has not improved my workflow and if anything had thrown in a few new obstacles. I'm able to work around but the lack of ability to move the box is the lack of functionality I dislike the most.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Moderating

Hi @ssnyder2 -

Thank you for providing this feedback (and Ideas for improvement)! To better help our Project Managers and Community Members who wish to collaborate, each Idea needs its own thread. If you need any help editing and/or creating, let the Community Team know.

How do I create a new idea conversation in the Instructure Community? 

ezaurova
Community Participant

I have the same gripe as @JoyHolly .  It was very convenient to select text, open the math editor, and have that text automatically populated in the editor.

**Followup.  I found a workaround!  If you enter the text between \( and \), then select it all and open the math editor, it does pull in the text!

JoyHolly
Community Explorer

@ezaurova Thanks for that tip, makes sense, but since I have a lot of cases where I'm converting a short bit of text math, like the coordinate (3,0), into LaTeX, it's still faster to cut and paste it into the editor or even retype it. So I still miss the functionality the old editor had, which saved me time.

ezaurova
Community Participant

@JoyHolly If you create the idea, post the link.  I'll upvote it (or I guess 5-star it).

BruceNewell
Community Member

i agree that they broke some of the good features. Now they want us to make a suggested enhancement to get them back. How is that good customer support? 

JoyHolly
Community Explorer

@KristinL I'm unsure at what point making a new idea thread isn't redundant to what has already posted, which is why I posted here, on the discussion about the lost features in the New Math Editor. (The idea is essentially "bring the old math editor back!" or "restore lost functionality!") The ideas (selecting text and having it populate the math editor; being able to move the math editor around the screen, not having to re-select "advance mode" each time) aren't new, since the "old" editor had them. So are you saying you want separate "new idea" threads for each feature?

• Equation Editor utility should be not be trapped in an immovable modal. (Should be moveable around the screen, as before.)
  • Equation editor should remember advanced mode was last mode used.
  • Equation editor should support highlighting text, ex., (3, 5) and pulling of that into the editor (as the old editor did) without the need of typing escapes, \((3, 5)\).

It seems also useful to have all the lost features listed here in one thread, for one-stop reference for users having issues with the new math editor, so if someone else has more to add, go ahead. I'll break all of these out and make 'new feature' ideas soon for the three I list above. I'm curious though if there are other struggles with the new editor in addition to the ones mentioned. (Are there any plus-sides? Added features we now have that we didn't have previously? Surely there must be?)

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @JoyHolly - 

We do our best to keep Ideas to "one request per thread" to help focus conversations and to help in the discovery process of the Product Team. That way, when updates are made, Ideas can be identified (accurately) as "in production" all the way to "completed". 

I'll connect with the Project Manager who works with the RCE and let you know what they'd prefer.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

After collaborating with the Project Manager for RCE and the Math Editor, this thread can open with the focus it already established. The original title called "New Math Equation Editor" was edited to be more reflective of the thread, "Restore Math Editor Functionality".

Thank you for your contributions!

JoyHolly
Community Explorer

Thank you, @KristinL. If you later need me to make separate idea threads, I can!