Restore, redirect, or replace old URLs to Guides

0 Likes
(1)

I understand you have restructured the community but the Guides are used by so many organizations and changing the URLs has caused a massive amount of broken links. You can probably have your data team run a query to see how many pages contain links to old guide locations to get an idea of the scope of impact. I'm certain it's massive.

In my organization, we reference specific pages in the guides several times in every course, so updating the links will take a huge amount of effort. If you could restore the old links, redirect the old links to the new locations, or have your data team query all environments and systematically replace the URLs for us that would save many days of tedious and manual effort. 

P.S. This change has also impacted many discussion threads in the community which link to other community locations. And the footer links on your site that lead to "Support" and "Guides" are broken, too. 

Thank you for your consideration. 

8 Comments
jgarton1
Community Member

My thoughts exactly! 😱😭Please, please redirect the old URLs. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

lori_griffin
Community Participant

@Stef_retired Why archive?

James
Community Champion

@lori_griffin 

Probably because it doesn't need to go through the idea process and have people vote on whether or not they would like to see it.

saaroger
Community Member

I agree-- I'm finding that all of the links provided are broken.  Please create redirects!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

@lori_griffin 

Thanks for sharing this, Lori, and thanks to everyone who has participated in this thread. As Lori has also posted a question about this, we'd like to refer everyone participating in this thread to read @scottdennis 's response at Broken links to Guides. If you have follow-up questions, please post them there so we can keep the conversation unified in one spot—and be sure to subscribe to that thread to stay on top of activity there.

And as @James points out, this conversation has been archived because it's not necessary to rate it or ask our members to evaluate it for consideration: we're fixing it.

lori_griffin
Community Participant

@Stef_retired Ok, thank you for explaining. Any idea what the ETA is on the fix? I thought community votes might increase the priority on it. 😉 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@lori_griffin 

As Scott mentioned in his reply, we've already made considerable progress, so please continue to follow activity in the linked question for updates.