Restore to do list count when above 9

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

I have received several complaints from instructors about the changes to the to-do list, specifically, the change where it only shows 9+ if there are more than 9 items needing grading:  Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-02-20)

The main complaint I received is that teachers used that to determine how much grading remained, and how many people in a course still needed to turn in a particular assignment.  Can we have the actual count back again?

Comments from Instructure

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas.

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-03-12)

14 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@eric_pasion ​, I wholeheartedly agree with you; a 9+ badge number does not hold meaning. Just in case you didn't know, and for anyone else driving by and seeing this new feature idea, Instructure has requested that all affected users submit support tickets that explain how this change has affected their workflows. You'll find that directive here: Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-02-20) Comment from Instructure

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

...and in the meantime, while we're waiting for a resolution, the inimitable  @James ​ has created a near-term remedy: Restoring the Needs Graded count

eric_pasion
Community Novice

Stefanie,

That's somewhat difficult for us, because our users don't submit tickets to canvas's system, we redirect them to our own system, and then only submit a case if it actually does require attention from canvas's engineering team.  Doing it that way would require me to hand create EVERY CASE.  That won't work for me. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@eric_pasion , I think one ticket from you saying that it affects X number of users will do it. Instructure's UX/UI folks are very much aware of the issue.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

We apologize for the confusion and conflicting messages regarding this issue.  Our product team is currently considering how to proceed with regards to the dashboard indicator for the instructor to-do list.  We hear loud and clear that people are not satisfied with the current behavior.  There isn't a need at this point to put this up for vote by the community.  We will update the release notes when we have more to share.

debra_maranto
Community Novice

This was the single WORST change since I've been using Canvas. When I check my To Do list after normal working hours, I would normally wait until the number grew a little higher than 9 before I would spend my time off grading assignments. Now, I have no clue how many MORE than 9 assignments I have waiting for me. I had 9+ on each of 3 class shells the other day when I first noticed the change. In actuality there were about 75 assignments to grade! PLEASE change this back!!

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Debra,

You are very much not alone.  We have heard the feedback that is coming in from all corners.  I know that our product team had reasons for why they made this change in the first place and that they are now working on a solution to restore the functionality that so many people depended on as well as still addressing the UI problem they originally set about fixing.

kona
Community Champion

@debra_maranto ​ &  @eric_pasion ​, if you're looking for a quick/easy workaround for this issue (until it hopefully gets fixed!) check out the following document - Restoring the Needs Graded count.

melissafedigan
Community Novice

The teachers in my building are all upset about the 9+, too. They want the number to reflect how many are actually there.

estaples
Community Explorer

This is VERY frustrating for all of the instructors I have spoken to.  I have 25-30 students in each of 6 classes I teach. I like to know how many assignments have been turned in, and how many I have to grade.  This has to be fixed.  Thank you.