Restrict assignment submission attempts

Currently there is no way (that I am aware of) to limit the number of times a student may submit an assignment. This functionality is available for quizzes, but not for other assignment types. It would be very helpful for our instructors to be able to set the number of times a student may submit an assignment, whether for a revisions process or simply to limit the number of files they need to comb through in grading.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For details, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-18579-canvas-release-notes-2020-04-18 

78 Comments
jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Great conversation here and thank you so much for such a thorough explanation  @asatkins ​! It's these kinds of use cases that can really support/validate a feature idea 😉

I also like how you pointed this out, which is an important point to note, about this feature idea:

I don't think anyone is talking about taking away the ability to re-submit over and over, just asking to add the feature to restrict that if desired, just like you are permitted to leave a quiz open for re-submissions but you also have the option to restrict it.

dlyons
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks so much for this clear explanation. This isn't a use case I've encountered before and this helps me understand better why this feature would be desirable in certain class setups and not in others.

hvaughn
Community Contributor

This would be a well-received update at our college.  While I like the default of unlimited submissions, there are times when a limit is needed.

hesspe
Community Champion

This discussion reminds me of others I've been involved with in these confines. (For example in a discussion about whether to enable Teachers to turn off the "What If" option in grades.)  Allowing students to do what-if scenarios with their grades was cited as a "best practice",  and I'm sure the same can be said for allowing unlimited submissions to assignments, because it is empowering to students who may have "accidentally uploaded the wrong thing" or are motivated to submit their best work.  I admire Instructure for making student centered design the default.  The problem with the "best practice" argument is that assumes an "either-or", and that doesn't have to be the case.  I've found that teachers usually have a good comeback to explain their reasons for wanting to do things in a way that others have decided is not a "best practice".

canvas_admin
Community Champion

We sure could use this feature.  Sometimes students think that my comments on an assignment means they can go back and revise their assignment and resubmit to improve their score.   I then have to go back and tell them that resubmissions are not allowed/regraded.  This disappointment could be avoided if I could set the number of submissions allowed (along with the option to reset if a student submits the wrong assignment on accident).

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

@canvas_admin , I experience the same thing! While I encourage revisions for some assignments, others are a one-time thing. The ability to limit the number of submissions would simplify things and would help clarify grading policies on various activities.

BROEKERC
Community Novice

This would be an excellent enhancement.  Please vote up.

jsparks
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This is a very logical idea. As we explore some basic updates to assignments, this is something we can certainly consider.

joel_mills
Community Novice

Did this make it past voting and in to development?

straussi
Community Champion

Jason, can we get a status on this feature enhancement?