Resubmission

0 Likes
(13)

Whenever a student resubmits an assignment after the due date, It automatically marks the assignment as late. The problem is, they were not late. They did submit the assignment within the due date, they are just seeing the grade they got and are re-submitting that assignment to get a better grade. (While teacher permits.)

Saying this, every time a resubmission button it pushed, I would like canvas to check to see if the original submission was on time, then not make the resubmission late; Rather, have it marked as re-submitted and keep the date of the resubmission. 

There is the problem of students quickly turning in a blank page then latter turning in a completed assignment before the teacher has a chance to grade it. This can be fixed by keeping the original submitted assignment available so the teacher can look and see if the student was truthful in their first submission.

8 Comments
nathanatkinson
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

derek_pacifico
Community Member

YES, YES, YES! THIS! I came in here specifically to suggest this very same thing. 

Regarding the issue of cheating by putting in a lousy 1st draft to avoid being late, or the blank page idea, it would be great if we could toggle the option for each individual if desired to deal with those individuals. But if not an individual basis, then surely a class by class situation. 

difeboe
Community Member

Yes! Please fix this. I know I can go out to the grade-book and uncheck "late" but I'd love a streamlined fix. I like derek_pacifico's idea of having a toggle.

ttierney
Community Member

Yes, please!

I encourage my students to resubmit for a better grade, but they get discouraged when they see a resubmitted assignment marked late. Parents also do not understand or know how to figure out if an assignment is actually late or resubmitted. I know I can go change the late marking, but with 140 students and multiple weekly assignments, that is a lot to keep track of. 

susan_baglin
Community Explorer

Your idea would save me so much time.  As it is, I have to remember to go back to the gradebook so that I can manually change the status back to "none".  Ideally, we could toggle the status to whatever we want right in Speedgrader.

CHRISTOPHERDENN
Community Member

If a student turns in an assignment on time all additional submissions/ resubmissions are counted on time as well. This will allow students to learn from and fix their mistakes without late penalties. 

SofiaBiron
Community Member

Under circumstance where a teacher has asked me to make an edit on an assignment, once resubmitted after the due date/time, it is marked as late regardless of it initially being turned in before it was due. This has caused a lot of trouble, as when my parents log onto canvas to check my grades they see all these late assignments even though there were turned in on time. Having to explain this situation continuously, it begins to sound like an excuse, as it looks like I am just not completing any of this work on time. Many of my classmates can also agree this is a big issue for them as well, so I just ask that you add a feature labeling resubmitted assignments as 'resubmitted' and not just 'late' in cases where the assignment was turned in before or by the dead line, but changes had to be made and resubmitted after the due date, as well as allowing teachers to modify the status of the assignment as 'missing', 'late', or 'resubmitted/given another attempt'. 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.