Resume Quiz From Previous Attempt Option

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

As an Instructor, I would like to allow students to resume a quiz where they left off after it as been submitted when giving them another attempt. How it currently works is that they need to be given another attempt and start over. If an instructor could choose to let them resume their previous submission from the moderate page, it would save time for the student on long quizzes. Also, it would be nice to have an option to lock previous answers; that way they cannot correct previous mistakes.

As a student, I would like to be able to resume a quiz where I left off if my instructor permits. If I got most the way done with a 100 question quiz then have some technical difficulties, it would be a time save to not have to re-take the entire exam.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-16291-canvas-release-notes-2019-02-16?origin_team=T028ZAGUD .

61 Comments
curtain
Community Participant

Agree, I think of this as a way to moderate... to let the student back into a previous attempt.  Thanks for clarifiying

curtain
Community Participant

I put this one out to our local community yesterday so hopefully we can drive up some votes

jaime_torres
Community Novice

I agree.  Having to retake the entire quiz/exam is time consuming and frustrating to students.

jaime_torres
Community Novice

Agree.  Best to not have it set as a default setting.

jsparks
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hello everyone,

Thank you for this suggestion.  We can research this for possible inclusion in our work on the Modern Quizzing Engine. As any implementation or delivery of this feature is more than six months away, I suggest we archive this conversation for now. I have added this idea to my backlog of possible features.

Regards,

Jason

fvansaun
Community Participant

Not having this feature is the one reason that I cannot move my exams from our old, and really hard to navigate, LMS to Canvas. Every semester at least %5 of our students are unable to complete their exams due to some technical problem. I do not feel comfortable with penalizing them with a complete retake of a 1-2 hour exam, especially in the case where questions have been randomized, and there are no options available for saving instances of submitted exams, while offering an additional new exam (which even our old clunky LMS can do).

This feature suggestion, or even an archive feature, would make a great deal of difference for us, and allow us to leave our old LMS. I am really disappointed to hear that it won't even be considered for more than 6 months. That will mean a whole more year in contract with our previous LMS provider.

james_sanzin
Community Champion

We need this!!! I just had an error cause a quiz to be submitted today, when the student had only attempted 35 out of 60 questions.

jsdennis
Community Novice

I have had the same problem as James Sanzin.  This needs functionality needs to be added to Canvas.  Ugh.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...

tsawicki
Community Novice

I REALLY like the idea of locking already answered (and/or already viewed questions) questions and allowing them to continue with unanswered (unviewed) questions.  This would be a huge help with students making up tests and quizzes without missing big chunks of new material in class.  This would also help with EC kids who need multiple sessions.