Resume Quiz From Previous Attempt Option

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

As an Instructor, I would like to allow students to resume a quiz where they left off after it as been submitted when giving them another attempt. How it currently works is that they need to be given another attempt and start over. If an instructor could choose to let them resume their previous submission from the moderate page, it would save time for the student on long quizzes. Also, it would be nice to have an option to lock previous answers; that way they cannot correct previous mistakes.

As a student, I would like to be able to resume a quiz where I left off if my instructor permits. If I got most the way done with a 100 question quiz then have some technical difficulties, it would be a time save to not have to re-take the entire exam.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-16291-canvas-release-notes-2019-02-16?origin_team=T028ZAGUD .

61 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Thank you Deactivated user  for submitting this idea, as well as,  @curtain  Thank You , mhill Thank You ,  @dhulsey  Thank You , jaime.torres Thank You , brow7090 Thank You ,  @MattHanes  Thank You ,  @powellj  Thank You ,  @cohenf  Thank You ,  @fvansaun  Thank You , damian Thank You ,  @james_sanzin  Thank You ,  @jsdennis  Thank You ,  @tsawicki  Thank You ,  @jayde_colquhoun  Thank You ,  @kerri  Thank You , dspiel Thank You , gerak Thank You csanders   @ronmarx  Thank You ,  @natalie_hamilto  Thank You ,  @rislis  Thank You ,  @jacobtowne7  Thank You , nikki Thank You , julieddavis Thank You ,  @sarah_vidmar  Thank You , &  @juliekaras  Thank You  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of Canvas!

sharpj1
Community Explorer

I'm fairly new to Canvas, but have run into a problem where "

Resume Quiz From Previous Attempt Option" would be helpful.  I see that "this idea has been deployed".  Where can I find instructions for engaging this feature?

Kelvin_Dean
Community Contributor

In order to allow students to resume from their previous attempt, you need to first access the quiz, then go to the Moderate tab, click on the Moderate button next to the student you want to reopen the quiz for, and select Reopen under Manage current attempt.

For example, 

View Moderation Page

Reopen Assessment

Do keep in mind that if the student times out on a timed quiz, the attempt cannot be reopened. This is because the timer will resume with any remaining time from the moment the quiz is submitted. For example, if the time limit is set to 15:00 minutes, and Alexandra finished the quiz in 8:32 minutes, she will only have 6:28 minutes to resubmit. But because she has an extra 15 minutes from accommodations, she will have a total of 21:28 minutes.

Accept Message

sharpj1
Community Explorer

Thank you! This helps.

d_hupkes
Community Novice

@Kelvin_Dean  This is exactly the feature I am looking for, but I cannot find it in my quiz. Is it possible it is not available in my version of Canvas? When I go to "moderate quiz", it looks like this: 

346403_pastedImage_4.png

When I click on the little pen on the right I can allow the student an extra attempt or give them extra time on all attempts, but I cannot reopen the quiz. When I click on the students name I can see their previous attempts, but once again I see no button to reopen. What am I doing wrong?

Many thanks in advance!

RobDitto
Community Champion

@d_hupkes  your screenshot shows the "Classic" Quizzes Moderate main dialog.  The one with the Reopen feature is Moderate in New Quizzes.  

sharpj1
Community Explorer

Thank you. That confirms what someone else said. It sounds like I need to ask our school why we're not using the most up-to-date version of quizzes

d_hupkes
Community Novice

Ah I see. Thank you for answering  @RobDitto . Does that mean that in my case it is not possible a all for me to reopen quizzes for students, or to let them see their answers without also revealing the solutions?

RobDitto
Community Champion

Correct, a "classic" quiz does not offer the Reopen functionality. Bear in mind that New Quizzes Reopen functionality is very limited, something which only can help students before both their time limit passes and their Until date is reached. 

And New Quizzes is also a bit better in this area:

let them see their answers without also revealing the solutions?
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New