Resume Quiz From Previous Attempt Option

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

As an Instructor, I would like to allow students to resume a quiz where they left off after it as been submitted when giving them another attempt. How it currently works is that they need to be given another attempt and start over. If an instructor could choose to let them resume their previous submission from the moderate page, it would save time for the student on long quizzes. Also, it would be nice to have an option to lock previous answers; that way they cannot correct previous mistakes.

As a student, I would like to be able to resume a quiz where I left off if my instructor permits. If I got most the way done with a 100 question quiz then have some technical difficulties, it would be a time save to not have to re-take the entire exam.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-16291-canvas-release-notes-2019-02-16?origin_team=T028ZAGUD .

61 Comments
jayde_colquhoun
Instructure
Instructure

Deactivated user‌ have you seen this product radar re: quizzes? You may have; however, if not I thought you may like to join me in voting up! 

ahayson
Instructure
Instructure

Already voted! I am super excited to see what Quizzes 2.0 brings to the table. Maybe we need to have a brainstorming session for feature ideas suited to best support VET Practices.  @jayde_colquhoun  Smiley Happy

cohenf
Community Participant

Yes. I need this function right now, as I had a situation where the student started the quiz, had a legitimate interruption, and resumed but ran out of time. I have no other option than to offer a "second attempt." This is very inconvenient. Sorry to sound irritated, but I'm under the gun at this moment, and all I have available to me is the option to give a NEW second attempt. How is this NOT an option? This is simply the ordinary task of allowing a student to revise work already done or "to pick up where they left off," as said above. I'll note that, while the student was taking the exam, I added "60" minutes, in "moderate" for the student, in the line that says "extra time on every attempt." That did not work. It simply closed on her after 120 minutes, the original time limit.

ahayson
Instructure
Instructure

@jason_anfield ‌ - This addresses one of those components in Quizzing that you mentioned. You may wish to vote or comment! Smiley Happy

cohenf
Community Participant

I agree. Much rather have this as a "moderating" function, but this function is dearly needed. It's the equivalent of permitting students to revise, rather than do over, their work.

ahayson
Instructure
Instructure

Hi  @rchamberlin ‌, lhoffmann‌ and  @jwaterhouse ‌.

This is the feature we discussed during our weekly catch-up call today. It would be great if you could please vote‌ and add comments‌ on how this is relevant/ important to your organisation. I know being in the rto space where we are all about learning journeys and building on last attempt that this item will greatly support your needs. 

- Am Smiley Happy

dspiel
Community Participant

and the possibility to add time to a student currently taking a quiz.  Maybe once added force them to click the refresh button or something that shows the added time to students?

kerri
Community Novice

I didn't realise we couldn't already do this Deactivated user. Definitely something that is needed. Learners aren't necessarily going to have the full amount of time to sit there and do it all in one go. Great idea to incorporate this!

ahayson
Instructure
Instructure

Thanks  @kerri ‌ for your feedback. Do you think you'd be able to email me/ or add a small paragraph why this feature is important and the positive impact it would have on the VET Space? Smiley Happy

kerri
Community Novice

No problems Deactivated user‌!