Resume Quiz From Previous Attempt Option

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

As an Instructor, I would like to allow students to resume a quiz where they left off after it as been submitted when giving them another attempt. How it currently works is that they need to be given another attempt and start over. If an instructor could choose to let them resume their previous submission from the moderate page, it would save time for the student on long quizzes. Also, it would be nice to have an option to lock previous answers; that way they cannot correct previous mistakes.

As a student, I would like to be able to resume a quiz where I left off if my instructor permits. If I got most the way done with a 100 question quiz then have some technical difficulties, it would be a time save to not have to re-take the entire exam.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-16291-canvas-release-notes-2019-02-16?origin_team=T028ZAGUD .

61 Comments
rislis
Community Champion

This is cumbersome, but with practice and patience, it could work. Teachers comment on the original quiz with the numbers that are allowed to be retaken. The quiz is edited to offer a 2nd attempt and the student opens the gradebook to see what questions he/she can retake. The teacher then looks at the 2nd attempt in the Speedgrader, adjusting the score of the 1st attempt if any retakes are correct. 

Maybe too tedious and cumbersome? What do you think?

Here's the video I shared with the teacher: Canvas Quiz Corrections/Retakes for additional points.

julieddavis
Community Novice

I would love to see this available as a moderation option for teachers. The problem with a retake is that students have already seen the questions and could have an unfair advantage to the other students if they take it at a later time that would allow for more studying. Even better would be the ability to lock the questions already answered (by teacher clicking) so that only certain questions are available to be changed by the student in that reopening of the first attempt.

sarah_vidmar
Community Explorer

Very necessary for our RTO, new to Canvas. We have incorporated some lengthy essay questions in our quizzes to address knowledge evidence and I am anticipating issues from frustrated students from the above discussion.

vwebster
Community Member

Well, this is definitely still a problem in 2019. The lack of a tool like this makes Canvas an absolute headache for problems. I had problems with several different students (multiple times) in one lab setting. An absolute nightmare.

juliekaras
Community Explorer

I would vote on this every day if I could. 

I'm baffled as to why this would have been dismissed when it reached the product radar stage back in 2016. So many other learning management systems have this functionality. 

Please add this Canvas!!!!!

vwebster
Community Member

I'm surprised it doesn't get more responses.

dspiel
Community Participant

And if you can add to resume possibly have a feature where you can set a time allowed for the resume.

juliekaras
Community Explorer

For everyone following this idea, there is another one that is only just sitting in the top 10% by vote section. Perhaps if you haven't voted on that one already I suggest you do so we can maybe give it a bit of a boost.

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4709-carry-forward-correct-answers-on-quiz-multiple-attempts

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The ability to reopen a quick can be found in How do I moderate a student's assessment attempt in Quizzes.Next? This idea will be marked as complete soon.  We just want to make sure to link up the release notes first!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas 

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2019-02-16) .