[Courses] Reusable Grading Schemes - Course-Level Creation

Currently, admins can create grading schemes at an account level and them have them accessible in all courses. If you create a grading scheme within one of your courses though, it is only available in that course or in a course in which you do a course import from the originating course.

It would be most useful if grading schemes created at the course level were available across any courses in which the creator is an instructor. If I have two courses that use the same grading scheme, I don't want to have to rebuild my scheme to use it. Solutions could include adding the copy/send options to grading schemes or having the scheme associated with the user rather than the course.

7 Comments
ctitmus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

doldham1
Community Participant

This would be really helpful. I proposed something similar back in 2016 but it went nowhere. 

DanaAdams2
Community Member

This is exactly the issue which prompted me to join this community. As an instructor, I find it quite tedious to have to do a course import process every time I set up a new course just to apply the new grading scheme.

This is a great idea to have the ability to save the grading scheme once to my account and be able to apply it across all of my courses.

wilsong
Community Participant

Badly, badly needed! Several faculty at my school want to use the same grading scheme in other courses. Right now, the solution for creating an API is just not something folks want to or should have to do in order to accomplish this.

Seems back in 2013 this was something done through copy course content and settings... What happened Canvas? Why take it away?

My 12 cent worth... (12 teachers each tossing in their 1 cent.)

doldham1
Community Participant

FYI for those folks looking for a solution--it's not perfect but I've found that you can do a Course Import that is limited to just the Course Settings. That will copy over the grade scheme from the source without changing much else, if anything. I just tested it on a brand new course and I don't see any changes other than the grade scheme being added. I might be missing something but that's how it looks to me.

This won't work for every situation but it's better than nothing. I found it quick and relatively painless. Since it seems unlikely that Canvas will be changing things any time soon, just based on the low levels of participation here, I figured I'd share it for what it's worth.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme