Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Modules] Reword the message students get when a module isn't published

[Modules] Reword the message students get when a module isn't published

Currently, if a student tries to access a module that is not published, they get a message that says, "This page is part of the module [insert module name here] and hasn't been unlocked yet."

This confuses teachers who are using a blueprint associated course because pages and assignments within their courses show a "locked" message/symbol. These two things are unrelated, as the locked for the blueprint associated courses means teachers can't edit that page but teachers think this message students get and that blueprinted message are the same.

My suggestion is to change the message students get to say:

"This page is part of the module [insert module name here] and hasn't been published yet."

7 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@LFPark  Could you elaborate on the circumstances that lead to the message cited in the description? Students aren't able to view an unpublished module, so it would be interesting to know how they're accessing it; further, if no requirements or prerequisites are set, my quick test indicates that an unpublished module doesn't impede their module progression. My attempt at recreating the issue might not be capturing all of the variables encompassed in the problem statement, so please let us know more.

Thanks.

LFPark
Community Explorer

Many elementary teachers forego the modules navigation through the module tab on the index, opting instead for a page-based navigation. When teachers use the "course links" option on a page to link to something in their course, if what they are linking to is a part of a module that is not published, they get the message: "This page is part of the module [insert module name here] and hasn't been unlocked yet."

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for that added detail, @LFPark . Here's what I did in an attempt to replicate the scenario:

• Placed a published quiz in a module
  • Unpublished the module
  • Added a link to the quiz on a page
  • Entered Student View
  • Clicked on the link to the quiz from the page

The message that displayed at the top of the quiz for the student was: "This quiz is part of an unpublished module and is not available yet."

So it sounds like the message that displays to students is in line with what you're hoping to see. I'm still curious to know if there are additional variables that are resulting in the "locked" message your students are seeing.

Thanks for working with us on this!

LFPark
Community Explorer

@Stef_retired Yes, I see that same message when I try to access a quiz or an assignment that way. But try to link to another page that's inside an unpublished module.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Yep, there it is, @LFPark ! 

"This page is part of the module [name of module] and hasn't been unlocked yet."

Aligning the message for pages with what already displays for quizzes or assignments makes sense, and I'll bring it to the attention of our teams while we also move this idea forward for broader conversation.

Thanks for helping us identify the circumstances that result in this message displaying.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme