[Rich Content Editor] Alternative Text for Images

0 Likes
(6)

When uploading an image into a course, can we have a way to keep the alt text with that image every time we use it (including when an image is marked decorative)?

If I am using images as icons, it would be nice to just have it automatically know that image is decorative.  If I'm using an image in a few different places and put alt text in for it, it would be nice if that same alt text is assigned in any other location that image is used.  

8 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @RachelSalmon,

I do agree that having alt-text "attached" to an image would be nice so users didn't have to retype it every time they insert an image.  The only caveat I can think of is that if you modify that alt-text, I think most people would expect every occurrence of that image to get the updated alt-text, which may not really be feasible.

I did also want to point out that as fas as I know, the web standards specifically say that a decorative image should not have any alt-text.  See the w3c decorative images page for more info.

-Chris

RachelSalmon
Community Participant

@chriscas Yes, exactly.  That's why I'm suggesting that this feature be able to either know an image is decorative after indicating it the first time or keep the alt text attached to the image. There could also be a checkbox to indicate whether you want to keep the indication of decorative or alt text for other images attached to the image or not so that if you felt it was an image where it might change, you have the ability to. 

chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

@RachelSalmon,

Thanks for clarifying your idea.  When I originally read it, I thought you meant to include the alt-text even if the image is marked decorative!  Now that I understand that you'd like the alt-text and decorative checkmark to be attached to the image itself, i'd support this fully!

-Chris

canvasid
Community Explorer

Agreed. I would love to be able to add the alt-text at the Files level, and then wherever you use the image in the course, the alt-text will already be attached.

TiffanyStull
Community Participant

My main concern about the proposed feature is that it will encourage users to make images which should not be marked decorative to make their images inaccessible by offering a single location for ignoring alt text globally.

If this were implemented, I think it should be more complex and nuanced than just a single checkbox to link a image's association with alt text or an empty alt tag everywhere in the UI.

If the alt text is modified which will lead to a global change across all locations where the image is embedded, the instructor should have a warning dialog pop up with links to every other instance of the image so they can verify that the updated text would be appropriate in all cases.  If the same text is not appropriate for all instances of the image, the instructor should have the option in this dialog to "unlock" the image's alt text and a text box next to each link to easily edit and update every embed that needs an update.

Another question I have is what should occur when an image associated with an alt tag is embedded in an item that should not be modified, such as a quiz that is currently in progress, and you try to edit the alt tag from the image's source location?  I assume the feature would need to ignore certain locations and alert the instructor of that at the time of updating the text.  However, the act of associating the image with the alt tag might mean the instructor would forget the next time they edit or reuse the same quiz that they need to update it.

RachelSalmon
Community Participant
Problem statement:

When utilizing the RCE icon maker icons, any time you use the icon after initially creating it, you have to re-enter the alt text or mark it as decorative every single time. In some courses, we use icons on weekly overview pages and end up re-using icons multiple times throughout a course and have to update the decorative image check box or input alt text every time.

Proposed solution:

Since the icons created are used in the same way each time, it would be helpful to have either the indication of an icon being decorative or the alt text stay attached to that icon so that anytime it is used, it is already associated with the icon. This would save a lot of time in course development.

User role(s):

instructor,designer

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived