[Speedgrader] Rich Text Editor in Speedgrader Comments

Add the Rich Text Editor to the Comments section of Speedgrader.

"I want to recommend books, etc., or to properly format foreign words, and so on, and want to set the example, of course, of doing so properly.  Thank you"

"Instructors have told me they'd like formatting (bold, italic, colors) in the comment boxes in order to emphasize a statement without typing all caps (which seems like they're yelling at the students)."

"As an instructor in a virtual classroom I need to be able to make my communication with students richer to better get my points across.  Add rich text capabilities and allow me to make the Comment boxes larger while you are at it."

Transferred from the old Community

Originally Posted By: Joshua Shannon
Special thanks for contributions by: Teri Portman, Albert Turner

100 Comments
ewest
Community Contributor

This would be a fantastic feature to add! This is of particular interest to some of our faculty. Could this be revisited?

Hildi_Pardo
Community Champion

I'd like to add that when a link is added in comments, our elementary and middle school students (who only have iPads) can't even select the URL in order to copy and paste.   So having the URL become active on the iPads is also necessary.

sfiedler
Community Novice

Ditto!

ja644
Community Explorer

I would like to tie this idea to the issues we are seeing around the comments box bouncing back to the top of the screen when you type more than a few lines of comment.  If this enhancement would resolve this issue as well, that would kill two birds with one stone.

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/11844-enlarge-the-speedgrader-assignment-comment-box

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/11857-assignment-comments-feedback

and the thread in the community documenting this as well is here:

https://community.canvaslms.com/thread/24350-glitch-with-assignment-comments-box-in-speed-grader

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

alan_ng
Community Novice

I absolutely 100% need some kind of formatting (and clickable links) in comments. I teach German.

Nancy_Webb_CCSF
Community Champion

Having rich text for all comments, including additional comments on individual quiz questions, would be preferred.

Currently when writing individual comments on a quiz question, it appears to the teacher as if line breaks are working, but when the student views the comment all text is strung together.  It's an unhappy surprise to new teachers who've gone to all the work of writing detailed comments.  This behavior is different from assignment comments  - but having rich formatting on comments should fix it.

DeletedUser
Not applicable

I'm an online math teacher and I need the equation editor or HTML to give feedback on student submissions.

charles_calvert
Community Novice

It's losing indentation that bothers me. I want to share code, and it looks terrible without proper indentation, especially since I dock students for not properly indenting their code....

thompsli
Community Champion

I am also in this boat. I am very tired of using Unicode for superscripts, subscripts, and other common math formatting needs, and having no nice-looking way to talk about fractions when leaving comments in Speedgrader.