Robust Canvas Documentation

0 Likes

Please consider creating meaningful documentation.

In the recent past, during a teacher invoked course creation, a new option appeared 'Which account will this course be associated with'.  With that option, the teacher can select either manul creation or an account where the teacher has active enrollments. Not sure why a teacher would want to associate with an account when we import from our SIS. So, I started digging.

I found the documentation on Adding Course Details. HOWEVER, it does NOT explain the WHY of the association. Why would a teacher what to assoticate. If a school uses a SIS import, would a teacher EVER want to assoicate anything other than manual? Also, the documentation does NOT say if the association can be changed. Also, if the teacher created course is associated with an account, will that course follow the terms/grading periods of that account? Our teachers create master courses, if terms/grading periods apply, the concept of the master is lost.

I use this an one example of many. In Canvas documentation, the tendancy is to reiterate the option and not give the 'meat' of option. That is, the WHY is not provided. Or, WHEN should it applied or avoided. Or, HOW to change an association. If it can't be chagned, that should be noted too. Bascially, I am urgently requesting Canvas documentation be more thorough and robust.

I have opened a ticket for the example above. Nice Canvas support person. However, I was able to be directed her to request a change in documentation. I still do not have my answers to the What, Why, When, and How of the association. 

So, I turned it 'off'. Teachers can only manually create. However, I do not know how long this option has been active. If any of our teachers created a master with an account accosication, I don't know if they are at risk of losing access to all that master-content at term end. I guess I will continue to re-ask teir-1. 

Thank you for considering an update to your documentation.

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

Tags (2)
1 Comment
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Hi @lajubas - 

The Documentation Team is happy to look at specific guides with you. When writing lessons, the team writes for the core "how to" so it is the most helpful and most relevant to a majority of Canvas users. While some things deserve a note, not everything will be included as it adds complexity to the lesson and process for other users.

After finding the specific lesson, scroll to the bottom. There, you'll find a Share your feedback link that includes a Google Form where you can pass your thoughts along to the Documentation Team. The more specific you can be, the better.