Rubric Design

0 Likes

I have been trying to create a grading rubric in Canvas and appear to have discovered a serious flaw in the design (confirmed by the live chat help person).  It appears that when creating categories for each criteria that the point spread defaults to overlapping points and you can't correct it.  For example, if my highest scoring criteria is 10-9 points then the next category should start with 8 points.  However, Canvas forces you to start again at 9 points and you can't manually override it.  This is Assessment 101, you can't have the same point value in more than one column.  Can we get a correction or work around to this?  Not to be ugly, but Blackboard does this flawlessly.

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

3 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Moderating

Hi @ToddJennings -

I was able to replicate this, yes. I would like to hear a little more about the challenges you're running into with rubric creation.

When building, anything equal to or greater than 9 but less than 10 lands in the first rating for that criterion. Anything up to 9  (ie: 8.9) would automatically go in the next rating down. I would then have to determine what score was the lowest allowed for that before building the third rating, etc.

When working with criterion and ratings without ranges, when I pressed the +-icon, a score that was immediately in between the already-existing information was populated.

I look forward to collaborating!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @ToddJennings - I'm checking in with you and this idea!  How are things going with rubric creation?

We know life can get busy, yet if we don't hear from you by February 1st, we will archive this thread so we can better focus on current requests.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived