[Rubrics] Rubric Export

It would be great if canvas would allow a rubric to be exported to a word doc, csv format or pdf so that rubrics can be used in class instruction or provided to students with assignment description and syllabi. Currently, a rubric can be printed but not downloaded so it cannot be shared digitally without recreating the document, which, is a waste of time.

Added to Theme

69 Comments
kathyliddle
Community Member

Agreed - I'd like them to include in my teaching portfolio and so that my TAs and I can easily print out a copy for reference as we are benchmarking.

JZ2020
Community Novice

I was able to get another workaround by following these steps:

1. Highlight and copy the content in the rubric on Canvas
  2. Open Adobe 
  3. Create file from clipboard
  4. Paste
  5. Export as images so there is multiple images/pages

Not ideal, there should be an export to PDF option.

Hailstorm
Community Participant

Strongly agree.

schreiners
Community Member

Thank you to everyone who has pointed out that this is a BASIC function required for many accreditation processes.  Conversations regarding this functionality have been going on since 2015 and when they went to voting, gained over 200 upvotes.  Frankly, I am disillusioned by a new feature process that relys on member upvotes (which represents a very small part of the user community who is actually willing to go through the process in the first place), especially when after taking the time to start discussions, participate in them, and upvote, nothing happens in 5 years.

mbennett1
Community Novice

This would be a really helpful feature!

mzocchi
Community Member

I need to export the rubric data from a whole class to an excel spreadsheet.

Purpose:  I need to average the scores for each item within the rubric to report for accreditation and course learning outcome data.

For example, the rubric's first rating might reflect application of knowledge.  The second item to be scored might reflect creativity.  Then, for the project, I can report that this class had an average of XX/YY for application and xx/yy for creativity, and so forth. 

The only way I can do this now, is to ask the instructors to print out every student's rubric and then hand enter the data into a spreadsheet.

HELP!!!!

j_hornick
Community Explorer

This would be hugely useful. I like to provide a hard copy of my assignments to students and ideally would like to include the rubric. Pardon the idioms, but we can tell them until we're blue in the face that the rubric is available to view in the course information, but it's like leading a horse to water. If they won't drink, they'll miss the benefit of having the rubric to consult.

The workarounds are just that, clunky workarounds. 

kseaman
Community Explorer

I would like to reiterate others here - it would be beneficial for faculty to be able to export the raw rubric data to a CSV, to be able to share the data elsewhere if needed. At this time, my only recommendation to faculty is to grab a screenshot of the rubric info, and then manually enter that data into an Excel spreadsheet. Being able to make this data downloadable and usable outside of Canvas would be extremely helpful. Thank you!

monturod
Community Member

I just posted a question about this and see that this idea has been kicked around since 2017.  Obviously, I fully agree and am impressed with some of the uses and ideas instructors have for exporting grading rubrics.  I know the students would greatly benefit from having both digital and print access as some still do rely on printing out modules and coursework.

anji_buckner
Community Member

I agree with the posts from others here. I would like to download the rubric for both student accessibility and I want to download the raw data in a .cvs document for further analysis.  Manually re-entering data is cumbersome in the small classes and completely ridiculous in large classes.