Rubric Ranges

0 Likes
(2)

I would suggest getting rid of the > in the range option on the rubrics and just have the actual range that you list.

Tags (1)
24 Comments
lnesbitt
Community Member

I agree the > is confusing. Whole number points are more effective for grading--simpler-and generate less haggling over grades overall. With my whole points and the default > included, it looks like I'm giving a range like 4 to >2 when my range should be 4-2. 

mcmaguire
Community Participant

Glad to know I'm not alone with this quirk in the Canvas Rubrics tool!

kyh802
Community Explorer

I second @dhagood and @gideonwiliams. It's also very frustrating that if I'm using a range and click on the range, it automatically chooses the highest number in the range, and it's very, very rare that I'm actually intending to give the highest. And, what's worse, if I've assigned points by typing it in the blank but then accidentally click a different range as I'm trying to scroll by, it automatically changes the grade, which means I have to go back and try to work out what the original grade I'd given was--sometimes requiring me to reread the student's answer! The amount of extra work this rubric system has given me (don't get me STARTED on how it erases all the rubric comments and grades if you accidentally navigate away without  saving) is unbelievable and exhausting.

MsWiklendt
Community Member

If a rubric needs granulation down to 2dp, then it is not a very good rubric at all. at least, not in the context of high school education. I don't mark with half marks, let alone 1/100th of a mark. if you need more granularity than whole numbers, you need to restructure your criteria ratings/descriptions. 

I've done a little playing around with rubric ranges and have learned more about how it could work for actual ranges used in real life teaching assessments.

e.g., i have a rubric that has ranged thusly:

• 10 or 9,
  • 8 or 7,
  • 6 or 5,
  • 4 or 3,
  • 2 or 1,

For this "range" to work in Canvas, i have to make the rating "10 to anything greater than 8 (because in my marking anything the student can get that is more than 8 will just be 9)" so this would look like:

• 10 to >8 pts
  • 8 to >6 pts
  • 6 to >4 pts
  • 4 to >2 pts
  • 2 to >0 pts
  • 0 pts 

Below is how i played around with figuring out how it will all work in terms of the correct 'range' being highlighted once a rubric is saved against a student assignment in speedgrader.

Ranges.png