Rubric for Informational Text with No Point Value

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Sometimes rubrics (we refer to them as Scoring Guides) have lines of text with no point value associated with it.  It's purely "information only", and it does not require a score (highlighted below).  In order to work around this, we have to have two "zero" scores in there.  It would be helpful to have an option to create an "informational" row where no points (including zero) have to be displayed.

34134_CanvasRubric.jpgCanvasRubric.jpg

Use case: We sometimes have Scoring Guides with several rows of criteria which contain values of "Met" and "Not Met" instead of point values.  These are more of a "check-off" for each criteria, and therefore no points should be assigned for that row.

As a side note, when you use a rubric in the SpeedGrader to grade a criteria that has two "zero" scores, both get highlighted in green even if you click on just one of them.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14928 .

34 Comments
vrs07nl
Community Contributor

Chris Hofer

Apparently this is a bug ... "This is an issue we've run into with several others as well.  Even with that option selected, the total isn't being hidden when you view it from the submission view.  Our engineers have been notified of the issue so they can look into a fix.”

Chris Hofer Sept 2015 update

The engineers now say it is not a bug and the rubric in speedgrader appears as it should because designed to associate with assessment scores only and not the rubric score/ calculations ... sad but true......

michael_ball
Community Novice

Agreed! At UC Berkeley we've been running into this problem for a couple years.

We like to have assignments which are primarily completion based, but give detailed feedback that shouldn't affect grades.

A common example for us would be "Project Proposals" -- the grade is primarily based on turning in a good proposal, but we would like to use rubrics to standardize our basic responses.

SethBattis
Community Contributor

For that use, couldn't you just uncheck the "Use this rubric for assignment grading" box on the rubric, fill it out and then separately mark the assignment complete? (I grant you, students would still see numbers, which is suboptimal).

My hope for this feature had been to be able to mix together criteria that affected the score and criteria that did not (or to group criteria together into scoring bundles, if you will).

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea has been resubmitted and will open for voting on February 3, 2016

mark_soole
Community Novice

This seems identical to the idea I have submitted a couple of days ago. Perhaps Canvas should merge them and co-ordinate this?

Rubric without scoring is described as essential for the staff at the university where I work and generally in the UK, where Canvas is making strong inroads. It seems a very minor change to me to hide scores as the function of Rubrics does not change in any way.

Mark

erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2018-07-02) 

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Fantastic news, erinhallmark‌!  Looking forward to trying this out soon!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas 

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2018-07-14) .

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@Chris_Hofer  Thank You  for submitting this idea, as well as,  @SethBattis  Thank You ,  @dhulsey  Thank You ,  @r_v_jones  Thank You ,  @i729626  Thank You , vrs07nl Thank You ,  @buellj  Thank You , michael.ball Thank You , &  @mark_soole  Thank You  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of Canvas! 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme