Rubric with Point Ranges

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Please add the ability to assign point ranges within a rubric rating. I came from Blackboard which supported this feature and it was very useful in distinguishing levels of proficiency.

186544_Screen Shot 2016-06-09 at 2.36.11 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-06-09 at 2.36.11 PM.png

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-10-07) 

27 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@dcollier  Nice Work  for submitting this idea, as well as,  @newbym  Thank You , krugel Thank You ,  @cbarger  Thank You ,  @garth  Thank You , leslieahendrix Thank You  &  @joealkus  Thank You  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of Canvas! 

garth
Community Champion

Wow!  So glad the idea was accepted, thanks Smiley Happy

leslieahendrix
Community Participant

Yay! Thanks!! i am sure Canvas engineers created a rubric that works for

everyone now. Can't wait to see it.

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 12:11 PM, Renee Carney <instructure@jiveon.com>

gharbor
Community Participant

I love that you can now have a range of marks for a rubric! Yay!

HOWEVER: It seems odd that the ranges overlap? 

e.g.  5 - 3 :  3 - 2 : 2 -1 

This doesn't seems to make sense because effectively you could have two students with different criteria and the same mark? 

Thoughts?

erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi, Grant,

When used for grading, the maximum value of the rubric range will always be the value given, so in the example of a range 5 > 3, the maximum value of 5 is the selected point value when that range is selected in SpeedGraderIn the case of 5 > 3, the range doesn't calculate 3 as the whole number value until the next range (3 > x) . From a visual standpoint, displaying the > symbol does keep the value correct for the range interpretation. 

Hope that helps!

Erin

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed