Rubric without points

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Hello

We would like to use rubric without having to put in points against each line.

One of the more difficult issues we have is that rubrics in Canvas need a mark against them, even if they are not tied directly to the final mark and do not have a total. In my university, academics use rubrics only as an overall indicator of the strengths and weaknesses of work. If we put marks against them, we find the student may focus on the score rather than the on what is being communicated, and in any case the mark on the rubric has no meaning.

Attached is a description of the simple change we would like

see in Canvas

Mark

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14928 .

58 Comments
mcsmith
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

I was able to meet with some of you to further discover use cases and problem/benefit statements around this feature request. With out your contributions in the community, it would have been much more difficult to connect...THANK you for your contributions!

At this time enhancements to the rubric isnt in the immediate future. The engineering team that is currently aligned with rubrics are dedicating work to outcome enhancements. Since I do not believe this will get built in the next 3-6 months, I am going to archive this feature request. However there is good news, since our outcomes are tightly integrated with rubrics I am hoping we can squeeze this one in over the next 6-12months. Stay tuned!

petern
Community Contributor

Would like to stay in the loop about this very important feature.

colleen
Community Participant

I would like to be kept in the loop about this feature.

Colleen Andretzke

Veta Admin Officer

Mobile 0407 330 770

Email <mailto:colleen@veta.org.au> colleen@veta.org.au

Veta Youth Ltd

mcsmith
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

In the situation where there were no points tied to the rubric, would the teacher still need to give "points" to the assignment the rubric was tied to?

petern
Community Contributor

In many situations at my institution I have created assignments with no point value.  If the assignment has no point value then a rubric with no points isn't a problem.  However, you may still want points for an assignment that are assigned separated to the rubric.

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

As if to underline the case, here is a superb resource from Tutor2U that our Psychology teachers use but could be applied to any essay question. This would be amazing to have. Would even work well with self-assessed work.

206250_pastedImage_0.png

198 votes for this, 230 votes for self assessment. Rubrics are such an important feature of developing digital pedagogy.

pcallil
Community Participant

Love this, Gideon.  We are just about to go to continuous reporting using Canvas for our Middle School and  Senior School.  It's clear that many teachers want to present rubrics that are informative and that are not driven by points.  This fills the bill.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...
kavika_karshan
Community Novice

Hi Instructure,  pmillar                                                                                                                                                          

Please find use cases/user stories from The University of Adelaide (UofA) team around this feature request. It's voted up by the UofA team.

• As a student, I want to get feedback on my assignment via Grade Centre, so that I know how I am performing.
  • As a teacher,

I want to be able to give my students indication of performance using a non-numeric value (e.g. HD, D, C, P, F; NGP, Satisfactory, Non-Satisfactory), so that I have the opportunity to adjust the final grades.
  • As a teacher,

I want to be able to associate a numeric grade to the non-numeric value and be able to download while only showing the non-numeric value to students, with the option to exclude the numeric value from the “Total” and “Assignment Group” columns.
  • As a teacher,

I want the option to mute (hide from students) the “Total” column.

Thank you,

Kavika Karshan

The University of Adelaide

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

We have just purchased Turnitin's Feedback Studio and guess what... they have non graded rubrics! 

226382_pastedImage_1.png

So not impossible then....