Rubric without points

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Hello

We would like to use rubric without having to put in points against each line.

One of the more difficult issues we have is that rubrics in Canvas need a mark against them, even if they are not tied directly to the final mark and do not have a total. In my university, academics use rubrics only as an overall indicator of the strengths and weaknesses of work. If we put marks against them, we find the student may focus on the score rather than the on what is being communicated, and in any case the mark on the rubric has no meaning.

Attached is a description of the simple change we would like

see in Canvas

Mark

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14928 .

58 Comments
tbunag
Community Champion

Have you used any of the rubric scripts made by  @James ‌?  They might help in the interim, while we wait on revision of the rubrics tool.

Importing Rubrics from a Spreadsheet 

and

https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/designers/blog/2015/08/25/sorting-rubrics-made-easy 

Both have saved me hours of time.

James
Community Champion

@tbunag , it seems like rubrics need a lot of help.  I'm working on yet another script to address the issue here: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/8535-finding-rubrics  and  @kona ‌ wants me to write a rubric exporter to go along with the rubric importer. The first one has all but the sorting done and the second one works on test data but needs an interface added to it.

tbunag
Community Champion

Are you looking at a rubric exporter that exports just the rubrics, or completed rubrics?  Both would be very useful, though I imagine the completed rubrics would be much more difficult to export.

James
Community Champion

Kona wants the rubric exporter that could then be used with the rubric importer. That would be an rubric, not completed.

I've got another script that I wrote months ago that I found that exports the completed rubric. I pulled it up first when I was trying to find my rubric exporter and then asked Kona if she knew what this was for and how she would want it. It's very raw, but gives a table representation of the rubric (internal structure, doesn't even write it to anything yet). It gives one row per student and one column per criteria. I figured more people have more students than criteria, so I transposed the table over the way it looks in Canvas. It has no textual representations, only the point value -- which is kind of the opposite of what this feature request is (rubrics without points). It was based off wanting to know how many people got each mark in the rubric so I could see an overview of the course. What I'm not sure about is whether that would be better in a Google Sheet or a button added to within Canvas. The Canvancements that use Google Sheets seem more popular, but I find the user scripts easier to use. For a large class, the Google Sheet makes more sense because people don't want to wait forever for a completed rubric to download.

tbunag
Community Champion

I work with whatever I can, so either way works for me.  Most of the faculty I work with who are using rubrics are very quantitative, so your table representation would be perfect for them.  Thankfully, the less quantitative classes are also smaller, so pulling the rubrics (with their comments) manually shouldn't be as arduous.

bkompe
Community Participant

Qualitative rubrics are very popular and I believe that Canvas should offer this functionality.

I tried to make the normal rubric into a qualitative rubric by allocating 0 marks to each rating. However, the marked rubric doesn't display properly for students - it selects the rightmost cell in each row!

GideonWilliams
Community Coach
Community Coach

The only thing to do is keep pushing and get more people to Vote Up! Just wish there was a little more communication both for this and for self assessment rubrics.

Jess_M
Community Participant

I would REALLY like to see this happen. To be honest, I don't understand why it is not currently available. The system already allows users to set a rubric that is not linked to the grade, so why wouldn't is allow a rubric that doesn't impose point allocation?

natalie_norton1
Community Champion

My understanding is that this is coming soon - poss Q1 2018 (although these things could always move of course) - there was a slide about it at a recent UK meeting - see 'non scoring rubrics' in https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13184-he-canvascon-london-2017-1pdf . Fingers crossed! 

ttrujillo
Community Novice

If I have followed this discussion, does that mean I will be immediately notified if/when this feature of rubrics has been changed/added? I would find it extremely valuable to be able to create rubrics without scores.