Rubric without points

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Hello

We would like to use rubric without having to put in points against each line.

One of the more difficult issues we have is that rubrics in Canvas need a mark against them, even if they are not tied directly to the final mark and do not have a total. In my university, academics use rubrics only as an overall indicator of the strengths and weaknesses of work. If we put marks against them, we find the student may focus on the score rather than the on what is being communicated, and in any case the mark on the rubric has no meaning.

Attached is a description of the simple change we would like

see in Canvas

Mark

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14928 .

58 Comments
RobDitto
Community Champion

Yes,  @ttrujillo , it's customary for the Community managers to note any status changes on the development and eventual release of an idea which is chosen to be part of Canvas. There's another place to follow, part of the Product team's Canvas Studio, which will give details on the overall project:

kdigiaco
Community Novice

Please add this function! Like Jes commented, I don't understand why we can select that the rubric score does not affect the grade,but we still have to assign points. Just hide that darn points field!

Thank you for all you do. We appreciate you listening.

Karen

erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2018-07-02) 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas 

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2018-07-14) .

davida_campbell
Community Novice

I am glad to see this update be applied to Canvas. It is very similar to a PEAK Instructional strategies, Criteria for Credit, in which students are required to meet a list of specifications in order to submit assignments. Rubrics should not all be required to include scores. I think it is great for rubrics to include criteria to allow students to know the expectations for submission. In addition, clear expectations help students to produce quality work.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed