Rubrics: Add descriptors when using outcomes to set up rubrics

0 Likes
(17)

When setting up a rubric using outcomes, it would be beneficial to add descriptors explaining how an outcome is used in a specific assignment.

The first image is the rubric I'm able to create within Canvas. The second image is the same rubric with explanations for the ratings. There are many different ways to approach adding descriptors onto the rubric. The method I choose would require a description section added to the ratings. Another option would be to add a description section to the criteria once the outcome is selected.

Canvas rubric using outcomesCanvas rubric using outcomesRubric with explanation of outcome and ratings.Rubric with explanation of outcome and ratings.

11 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

@douglassa  Thanks for sharing this idea. This is already existing functionality for rubric criteria, as detailed in the Manage Criterion section of  How do I add a rubric in a course? We've moved this request for the functionality to be extended to outcomes aligned with rubrics forward for broader discussion.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

douglassa
Community Member

Your correct! If I was not using Outcomes, and only typing in my criteria, I would be able to add in a descriptor into the ratings. Since I am using Outcomes there isn't an option to add details. The criteria is pulled from Outcomes and only includes the information within the outcome. Unfortunately if I added the information into the standard within outcomes I would have multiple versions of the same standard.

douglassa
Community Member

Also, if I have multiple versions of the same standard within Outcomes, it becomes difficult to assess if my students have met the standard for the class.

mademoichelle
Community Member

I completely agree with you, douglassa. Since the Canvas Rubric ratings allow for this type of customization (adding descriptions to the ratings), it makes sense that Outcomes should as well. 

DCbellanca
Community Member

YES! Completely agree. We are trying to figure out a workaround, but everything ends up being more work than if this functionality existed. 

It could also work you manually created a criterion on a Rubric and then had the option to align the single criterion to an outcome (similar to how you can align quiz items to an outcome).

mccaulak
Community Member

Since Outcomes in Canvas are similar to the specific criterion in a rubric, it would be ideal if there was a text box which could be used to enter text that described the characteristics of work that represent each level of performance. In the Rubrics tool, when a criterion is edited, you can edit the title for each level of performance, the point value, and enter descriptive text. In the Outcomes tool, the title and point value are the only boxes that are included. Since the outcome criterion is designed to used as an analytical rubric type tool, and the outcomes can be imported into a rubric and used to assess student work, there needs to be a space to describe what the expectations are for each level of performance.  As a faculty member and a person involved in program-level assessment of student learning, I know that this small addition will greatly help faculty integrate program assessment of student learning into their courses and help institutions improve their student learning assessment processes. 

NatGilsdorf
Community Explorer

School Canvas Admin Here:

Currently you can add brief descriptions to each rating (column item) in a standard rubric, but cannot when using mastery outcomes. While you can add text to the outcome description, it would be great to add rating descriptions so that students can have a greater understanding of what each mastery level entails. 

pattylunaarvizu
Community Member

How can we make the request to be able to add an outcome to an specific criteria? like in new quizzes. This would help us a lot, instead of adding the outcome as criteria. Would this be possible to request to Instructure?? Thank you.

trose1
Community Member

This would be a game-changer in terms of my school's ability to use Outcomes.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.