Rubrics should automatically show if speedgrader

0 Likes
(13)

User Role: Instructor

Problem:

I'm confused as to why this extra step exists. If I'm grading an assignment in SpeedGrader based off of a rubric, why do I need to select "View rubric" every single time?

Solution/Idea Suggestion:

If I have it set to grade based off of a rubric, the rubric should show automatically. 

16 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

wschilling
Community Member

From a usability standpoint, this extra click to open the rubric is entirely unnecessary.  If I'm using the rubric for grading, why do I first need to move to the next student and then open the rubric.  When grading 50 students assignments, this is 50 extra clicks that do not need to be there.

yoder1
Community Participant

Yes, I think that if the rubric showed automatically, this would be helpful.

deliabush
Community Member

I was about to request the same feature.  It makes no sense as to why I have to hit "view rubric" every time I want to grade something.  It would be a time saver if the rubric would automatically show up.  

mpromislo
Community Explorer

YES!! This is one of my biggest pet peeves about Canvas. I agree that the rubric should open automatically. It is incredibly annoying to have all those extra clicks EVERY single time. 

yoder1
Community Participant

Indeed, I have stopped using rubrics within Canvas partly because of this issue of so much overhead.  It just doesn't compete with my own Excel + email process.

(I also need a "default" value for rubric items that I choose not to evaluate when grading.)

Note: This is part of a much larger, bigger project though.  From my perspective, getting an entire class of 20 students to preload over a network and doing the hundreds of little UX adjustments so that I can quickly flip between student solutions is even more important.

Similarly, I have a desire that someday Canvas could compete with Gradescope when it comes to grouping student responses and managing comments with associated points off.

mpromislo
Community Explorer

Totally agree with this! There should be NO need for the extra click to open the rubric. Seems like an incredibly easy fix.  Instructure, any response to this? 

James
Community Champion

Rubrics should not be forced open automatically in SpeedGrader. There are reasons for using SpeedGrader other than grading, like doing a quick check of the work and leaving a comment before you actually grade. Opening the rubric can push those comment boxes off the screen, especially if you have long rubrics. I only use the rubric to grade once, but I leave lots of comments.

That said, the people writing here probably have a different workflow than I do and so opening the rubric makes sense for them. Merely asking for the rubric to be automatically opened is just touching the tip of a bigger problem.

What I use is a JavaScript program I wrote called QuizWiz. Someone asked me to write it, so I gave him naming rights, but it has a lot of SpeedGrader enhancements that having nothing to do with quizzes. One of those features is the ability to click a button that saves the current rubric, advances to the next user, and automatically opens the rubric back up. You will still need to open the initial rubric, but then you can keep it open as you grade each student. That's an initial click plus one click per student instead of three clicks (open rubric, save rubric, next student) per student. And the button is right there next to the rubric so you don't have to move back and forth to advance students.

A userscript is some JavaScript that is injected into the browser using a userscript manager (I recommend and test using Tampermonkey). Both the userscript manager and the scripts I write are freely available (Tampermonkey does ask for donations and requires it for Safari, but mine are completely free).

VuyiswaNgubane
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Please consider having the rubric automatically open in Speedgrader (if using the rubric to grade) to save an extra click for every student. It would be great to have the rubric automatically there when grading so the process went faster and smoother. Thanks for your consideration.

Submitted by - Jenny Fox (Davis School District (UEN K12)

ctitmus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

KellyMallon
Community Novice

If there is a rubric, why must I click "view rubric"?  Is that not inherent because I spent the time to make and add one?  Speedgrader should open to a view of both, split screen so you can view all of both.  

pwiltshireuts
Community Member

I suggest a rubric should only minimise if all criteria have been completed.

roxanne_cnudde
Community Member

Yes! I agree.  

FreavD
Community Explorer

Yes! Also, even if you use a grading scale, already have the section for criterium specific comments open instead of having to click an extra time, every time you want to leave a specific comment to validate the marks your are giving. Our teachers often miss the textcloud button and will put all their feedback in the general comment section below the rubric.

gp14
Community Explorer

+1 to rubric automatically opening when the option for "use to grade assignment" is checked

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.