Rubrics should default to "use for grading"

0 Likes
(14)

Most faculty are creating and using a Rubric for grading purposes in an assignment so it makes sense that this setting should be checked by default.  For those few times when a rubric is used as a guide or for information, it can still be unchecked. Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 4.23.55 PM.png

Kandie Comfort -LMS Admin

14 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

kholt12
Community Explorer

Gosh, I absolutely agree with this and have no idea why it wasn't always the default. The amount of times I've had to go back through five classes and open the rubric to change this setting is exhausting. 

kylecage0
Community Explorer

When you add a rubric to an assignment, the entire point is to use it for grading. If you don't want to use it for grading, you should have to check a box - not the other way around. The default should be that the rubric will be used to grade the assignment. Otherwise, if I just want the rubric to be available as a guide for students, I would just add it into the assignment instructions. 

This is particularly problematic when dealing with Blueprint courses. If the child courses don't have the box checked, and you go in to the parent template course and check it, the act of checking that box is not enough to trigger a sync option. You also have to make some kind of an edit to the assignment itself. So, if I have 12 discussions in a course and the "use for grading" box is not checked, I have to go into the Blueprint template, check the box for each one, AND make some kind of an edit to each one in order to sync the change to all of the child courses. 

This is very silly and time-consuming. The rubrics should be used for grading by default. 

eoEgerton
Community Member

I agree with @kylecage0 . Why make a rubric, that students will access to see how their work will be evaluated if you're not going to use it for grading. 

DeletedUser
Not applicable

I echo @kholt12 and @kylecage0 
We've been working through exactly that this term. 

AdGreen
Community Member

Default makes the most sense here, would really help our team.

rhayes
Community Novice

I agree 1000%. This has been bugging for years. The vast majority of teachers create a rubric to grade with. It should be the default. Why else would I make a rubric? At the very least, make a global course setting. Under course settings have a checkbox for "By default us rubrics for grading."

kcjones2
Community Member

I wholeheartedly agree with these other posts.

I don't know many teachers who would go to the trouble of making a rubric and then NOT want it to be used to calculate grades.

Hopefully enough people will comment and Canvas will make this default.

recall
Community Member

Agreed - it would streamline the process of building out a complete and consistent course. For intuitive functionality, it makes more sense that these settings are accessible from the rubrics since it feels like they are modifying how the rubric connects to the assignments, not the assignment itself.

burdicks
Community Participant

"When you add a rubric to an assignment, the entire point is to use it for grading." Agreed! Please make this the default option.

Mary-EllenWalte
Community Novice

The fact that we have to have a discussion about this is mind-boggling.  The amount of extra effort to achieve what should be a default is disappointing.  Please make it a default setting.

ethomas48
Community Participant

What @Mary-EllenWalte  said.

Adding a rubric to an assignment means that you want to use that rubric for grading so this box should be checked as the default behavior. Allow it to be unchecked, sure, but default to checked to save us all a ton of time.

Thank you.

Sylvia_Ami
Community Contributor
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived