Rubrics that average the criterion scores

0 Likes
(1)

There are many teachers who grade on a 4 point rubric. They will have multiple criteria that they are grading on an assignment that are all graded on a 4 point rubric. Teachers will then average the scores of all the rubrics to achieve a final score that is out of 4. It would be nice if you could set your point total to 4 in an assignment but have all the criteria in your rubric. Then when you are done grading Canvas will average the criteria and generate a final score out 4. I know this is capable in Google Classroom, but my school doesn't use that anymore.

4 Comments
Naomi
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

Hi @MichelleRobbins,

To clarify, you're wanting to use a rubric that is equal to or more than 4 points total and have the rubric score averaged to be out of a total of 4 points for the assignment? 

As a workaround, you could select to use the rubric to grade the assignment (by selecting the Use this rubric for assignment grading checkbox when adding a rubric to an assignment), you can then divide 4 points by the number of criterion and use that value for the highest rating for each criterion to get a rubric total of 4 points. Then that value will be applied to the students' assignment grade. For example, if you're using 6 criterion to grade the assignment, if each criterion were set to 0.66 or 0.67 that would create a total of 4 points. 

Naomi

mademoichelle
Community Member

Thanks for bring this up, @MichelleRobbins@Naomi,  while that is a workaround, it is inconvenient to have to manually calculate the average and then manually enter that average score for every student in the course. It would be nice to have the option... I'm thinking that we could select criteria from the rubric and have the system calculate the average, and transfer it to the gradebook for us automatically.

Jmpeuker
Community Member

@Naomi 

I agree with @mademoichelle that there needs to be an option in the assignment to choose "display grade as" "average" All the options now use a percentage calculation that is not accurate if you are grading each criterion on a 4 point scale and want the final grade to be an average. The percent scale always gives a lower score than the average if the graded assignment is not perfect. 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.