SIS Import button

0 Likes
(1)

I would like to request a button on the SIS Import page that would allow me to start an import on my data.  This will speed up the need to update our data when changes are made during the day.

10 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@john_steele 

Thanks for sharing this idea. Are you an admin or an instructor? Would you provide a screenshot that shows the SIS Import page referenced in the description and specify where it is found in Canvas?

john_steele
Community Member

I am an Admin (Network Administrator) for the district.  below you will see a button that will allow me to process a CSV file but my district connects to our roster server and I would like to be able to start the retrieval of our data from the roster server and import it into Canvas.

john_steele_0-1598456800765.png

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@john_steele 

The screenshot and added details are very helpful! We've moved this forward for broader discussion.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

john_steele
Community Member

Here is the real reason I want this button.  One line from the last ticket update I received,

"The current estimated wait time for a response in this queue is 3-5 business days."

We can't wait 3 to 5 days!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@john_steele 

We are sorry that people are encountering long wait times for Canvas Support. This is our current standard initial response to support requests:

As you may know, many businesses and learning institutions have been impacted by Covid-19 in unexpected ways. Canvas Support is currently experiencing a large increase in volume related to the start of the Fall 2020 semester. We acknowledge and apologize for the increased wait times. We will respond as soon as we can. For urgent requests please contact us via phone or chat.

We apologize. Please know that we are doing everything we can to add additional agents quickly and keep up with the massive increase in requests.

john_steele
Community Member

I understand and sympathize with the workload and my intent with that comment was to show that my request will take some of that load off of support by allowing the admins to take control of that activity.   

mcullers
Community Member

^^ This. We really need a way to get Canvas to update from ClassLink OneRoster on demand. When changes are made during the day, students have to wait until the next day (after the scheduled sync) before they can see their new courses. Implementing a button so an admin can initiate the REST API sync would solve this issue.

hammond_steven
Community Member

Hopefully this wasn't placed inside a bin and stored in the attic. 

The whole SIS Import page needs a rethink. It's a relic of Canvas's Higher Ed roots and doesn't reflect those in secondary(K-12) who may be using an integrated SIS connection and not CSV files. The connection between our SIS and Canvas is realtime or at least it should be at the connector level. We're at the mercy of scheduled syncs or during events such as start of school the SIS team who have 24-36 hour turn arounds. Level One techs can start diff syncs but if issues occur they punt it off and that's where the frustration occurs. Give us a darn button so that we can move on to more important tasks.

Error logging is also incredibly vague. This is especially true if SIS ID's for users are API generated which means again you're at the mercy of the SIS team to identity who this SIS ID belongs to because I can't identity them myself. Give us the the data you received during each sync event on this page or at the very least make an on-demand option in the reports tab in Settings.

Give us local level admins some tools otherwise what use are we other than a conduit for putting in tickets.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.